Cooler MLT calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
Not sure if i'm missing something in my searches, but what are you all doing to compensate for the size and absorption of the grain in a cooler MLT when marking off measurements on a stick/mash paddle/whatever?

I don't do any volume measurements in my cooler. Measure what goes in; measure what comes out.

If you were measuring in the cooler, the strike water would be measured pre-grain, so no problem.

Batch sparge mash water would be post-grain (after all absorption had occcurred) so again, no problem.

Once you know how many vertical inches of cooler space equals 1 gallon, you can do either of these measurements.

well the problem with measuring before going into the cooler is that i like to heat and treat all the water i'll need at once in my HLT.

once i drain the MLT for my first batch sparge the grains are dry and will absorb the new sparge water. i've been just measure my sparge water by eye and stopping when i get 6.5 or so in the kettle, but i would love to be more exact with splitting my batch sparges.

Back