Volcanic Starter Step-up... Risk of Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
I just stepped up a starter to 1.080, leaving half of the headspace in a 1 gallon jug open. That's safe, right? Wrong. Bells yeast is a monster.

I came back home and the airlock had popped loose, krausen was all over the workbench, and fruit flies were lapping it up. I didn't see any flies in the starter itself, but it was at least slightly open to the air because the bung was no longer firmly seated in the jug.

Should I pitch the starter onto a barleywine wort or into the garbage?

Depends on your risk profile, but I've never had a starter-explosion end in tears. even with fruit flies. Not saying it can't happen, not sayin' it won't happen, but if I were in your shoes I'd pitch.

In fact, I'd get some really loud Queen on while pitching. then again, I maybe a little weird :)

In fact, I'd get some really loud Queen on while pitching. then again, I maybe a little weird :)

I was going to say something about Freddy Mercury and infections, but I really feel like being a nice person tonight...

Why make a starter with 1.080 gravity? I think growing yeast is much more important than "preparing" them for high gravity wort. 1.080 wort is going to put a lot of strain on them and you'll be pitching sub-optimal yeast into your beer. Save your DME and make starters with 1.040 gravity.

Why make a starter with 1.080 gravity? I think growing yeast is much more important than "preparing" them for high gravity wort. 1.080 wort is going to put a lot of strain on them and you'll be pitching sub-optimal yeast into your beer. Save your DME and make starters with 1.040 gravity.

I think the yeast was pissed off and acted up. You told them that they were going to have to put in a bunch of unpaid overtime at the beginning of their workweek. By their Wednesday they're going to be sandbagging.

I'm getting kind of concerned about using this yeast. I split the starter after the eruption and one of the new jugs gives off a slight vinegar-like aroma.

If it is acetobacter, I would have a hard time believing it isn't in all of the starters but I would like to test. If I re-oxygenate the starters, the acetobacter should go crazy if they're in there, right? How long does it take for acetobacter to do its thing?

Latest posts

Back