a little worried about edworts apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
hey, i just finished throwing together 5 gallons of apfelwein as per edworts directions, but im just a little confused and hope someone can clarify. it looks to be as if the yeast i just pitched is just sitting in the bottom of the carboy.. is this supposed to happen because iot doesnt feel like it is..

How long ago did you pitch? It's most likely reproducing, getting ready for take off.

Also, this isnt going to ferment like beer. You will only see tiny little bubbles comming to the surface. Oh, and wherever you are fermenting it will smell of rhino farts!

I disagree- it won't "skunk" like hops will, but will get lightstruck if you leave it in bright light. That will bleach out color and flavor, and give it an odd flavor. I cover all of my carboys with wine, mead, and cider.

Beware if you used montrachet yeast it will be a bit stinky, I thought the first time I brewed apfelwein my temps were too high, 74ish, which was making it stinky. I've got a batch in my swamper now at 66, and it is still stinky!

Glad to hear the funky smell is normal. I'm brewing a batch now and at day 3 it really smells odd. After a day it smelled good, like apple juice, but now it's just plain funky. Thanks to the posters above for reassuring me. It's my first batch of cider.

Back