sourcing local barrels for wild ale project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwood

Reaction score
So my buddies and I have a few barrels already. Two 15, and one 6 gal. We are looking to get either a 30 gallon or 60 gallon wine barrel. I have tried emailing wineries with no luck. I got a response yesterday saying they won't have one until later this year. Sort of vague, but I am thinking we need one at the end of July. That much beer will block out other brews for too long. I prefer to go local so I though maybe you guys had tips on how to get one. I figure there is sort of a "season" for this type of thing. Sort of when the wine is ready, they take wine out of the barrels and bottle.

I am not trying to be picky. It's just I know the barrel itself is pretty heavy. I know there is a fair amount of wine in the northern part of Illinois and southern part. I am in Aurora. A simple drive/road trip will be better I think.

I do travel to southern Illinois a few times a year, so I will try emailing wineries in that area (Carbondale). I have a neighbor down there that can hold on to it.

Sorry for the long post, but do you guys have any tips?

Back