whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapes

Reaction score
I have an irish red in the final stage of fermenting, gravity went from 1.060 down to 1.016, first reading. Whirlfloc was part of the recipe and I have to admit the beer looks good. With whirlfloc do any of you still cold break?

The beer looks good, Killashandra Red from Brewers Apprentice, and yea it tasted even better. Pretty happy.

I get an awesome cold break when I use whirlfloc. It looks like huge chunks of goobers, so the wort is clear going into the fermenter. When the wort is clear going into the fermenter, generally the beer is clear when finished fermenting (depending on yeast strain).

I never cold crash, as the beer is already clear, but many people do.

I always cold break, but I use a plate chiller, so I don't have much chioce. I still do a cold crash to drop the yeast in the carboy and again in the keg. The yeast gives me the "runs", so much fun getting old.

I love whirlfloc. I use a half a tablet at 5 minutes. It makes the wort look like a discussing mess of slime while chilling but it has defiantly improved my clarity. I wouldn't brew without it now.

I get an awesome cold break when I use whirlfloc. It looks like huge chunks of goobers, so the wort is clear going into the fermenter. When the wort is clear going into the fermenter, generally the beer is clear when finished fermenting (depending on yeast strain).

I never cold crash, as the beer is already clear, but many people do.

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast is the yeast I used

I love whirlfloc. I use a half a tablet at 5 minutes. It makes the wort look like a discussing mess of slime while chilling but it has defiantly improved my clarity. I wouldn't brew without it now.

Don, "at 5 minutes" does that mean 5 minutes in or 5 minutes left?

Don, "at 5 minutes" does that mean 5 minutes in or 5 minutes left?

You usually throw them in at the last 5-15 minutes.

I'd also recommend crushing the tablet.

I just put one tablet in a paper towel and find something nearby and smash it a bit into a powder and dump it in with 15 left.

Almost immediately you'll get a big break, so if your near capacity for your pot be ready as it will overflow.

Midwest Supplies says that half a tab at no more than 10 minutes remaining in the boil is what the manufacturer recommends.

Back