brown ale - volcano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megan

Reaction score
so i started my brown ale (OG was 1.062 - i know a little high for a brown) last night and headed to bed around midnight. i woke up to check on it at about 5 a.m. and noticed the usual bubbling through the airlock. but it was obvious a lot of beer was bubbling up through it as well. so i went to take off the airlock and clean it out, and boom! the rubber stopper popped out flinging foam and brown gunk everywhere. also caused a beer volcano and lost about 1/2 gallon of beer all over the kitchen. fun stuff... anyway, here is my issue: what do i do now?

1. leave the beer in the 5 gallon carboy until time to bottle.

2. transfer after a week or so to another 5gallon carboy and top off with 1/2 gallon water, thus diluting the beer but preventing oxidization.

3. transfer to get off the trub but don't top off.

what does everyone think i should do?

so i started my brown ale (OG was 1.062 - i know a little high for a brown) last night and headed to bed around midnight. i woke up to check on it at about 5 a.m. and noticed the usual bubbling through the airlock. but it was obvious a lot of beer was bubbling up through it as well. so i went to take off the airlock and clean it out, and boom! the rubber stopper popped out flinging foam and brown gunk everywhere. also caused a beer volcano and lost about 1/2 gallon of beer all over the kitchen. fun stuff... anyway, here is my issue: what do i do now?

1. leave the beer in the 5 gallon carboy until time to bottle.

2. transfer after a week or so to another 5gallon carboy and top off with 1/2 gallon water, thus diluting the beer but preventing oxidization.

3. transfer to get off the trub but don't top off.

what does everyone think i should do?

If you're fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy, you're never going to have enough room to make 5 gallons of beer. You'll need to rig up a blow off tube for that.

Leave it there, do not top off. Don't worry about oxidation. Your beer is still spewing out co2 and it will be just fine in there. I keep mine in 6.5 gallon carboys all the time, with a gallon of room on top and oxidation is not a problem.

And you don't have to get it off the trub if you don't want to. Just let it finish, then settle, and it'll be good to go.

On the same topic, I am about to brew a California Common (Steam Ale), and it is brewed with lager yeast, which ferments at around 60F. So my plan was to rack it right into a 5 gallon glass carboy. Do you think that if I rig a blowoff tube I'll be ok? At lower fermentation temps, I don't foresee a vigorous fermentation.

On the same topic, I am about to brew a California Common (Steam Ale), and it is brewed with lager yeast, which ferments at around 60F. So my plan was to rack it right into a 5 gallon glass carboy. Do you think that if I rig a blowoff tube I'll be ok? At lower fermentation temps, I don't foresee a vigorous fermentation.

I would use a blowoff tube any time you are fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy.

Well, a steam ale uses lager yeast at ale temperatures, so it's not a slow fermentation. If you absolutely have to use a 5 gallon carboy because you don't have anything else, at least use a blow off tube. I use an ale pail or 6.5 gallon carboy for almost all of my primaries.

thanks! i will leave it in the 5 gallon carboy.
i think with making wine, it's more important to not have a lot of air space at the top, but not SO much with beer.

no problem telemarc - it's all interesting

thanks! i will leave it in the 5 gallon carboy.
i think with making wine, it's more important to not have a lot of air space at the top, but not SO much with beer.

no problem telemarc - it's all interesting

The yeast acts differently too with wine, which is a big factor here. You still don't want it getting to oxygen, but the amount of gas that is pushed out is more than enough to keep it away.

Back