Dry out an already carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertSF

Reaction score
Heres the story. I brewed a Smoked Scotch Ale. I mashed a little higher than I should have and the fermentation stopped at 1.028. After trying what I knew I kegged, chilled and proceeded to force carb because I couldnt see a way to drop a few extra points. The beer has been in the keg under C02 for about 3 weeks now and is fully carbed. Ive done some research and now know I could have done several things such as add some dry yeast or make another starter and pitch while active. Ive also looked at Alpha-Amylase and Beta-amylase but not enough to know if they will help or which to use at this point.

My question is since this beer is carbed am I pretty much left with a FG of 1.028 or do I still have options to get it down to at least 1.024 - 1.018, which was my target range?

Edinburgh Ale - WLP028
2000ml Starter

16.5 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8 oz Aromatic Malt
4 oz Peat Smoked Malt
4 oz Special B Malt
2 oz Black Barley
1 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (90 min)
1 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028)

Pitched at 64DF, fermented at 62DF.
left in primary for 23 days.
Diacetal Rest on day 13 to 74 DF, left at 74 for remainder of primary.
Roused yeast on day 15.
Transferred to keg/Secondary on day 23.

I would just enjoy the beer as is and tweak the recipe for next time. That's part of the process of brewing learning from our mistakes and trying something different next time.

Back