Do I need to worry about hot side aeration if i filter my wort pre-boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondratemime

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Tripel tomorrow but always end up with a lot of break material at the end of the boil. I know its not going to harm the beer, but I want to try and filter some of this out at the end of the mash to try and limit losses before everything gets transferred to the FV. If I transfer it to another vessel and strain it through a fine muslin cloth, is that going to cause any issues with hot side aeration?

I would assume not, because the boil should drive off all the oxygen but I figured I should ask the internet for advice before spoiling a batch.

What say you?

James

How do you transfer from your Mash Tun to the Brew Kettle? If you simply drain from the Mash Tun spigot, you could simply put your muslin over the drain valve and shift it as it clogged up. Then you wouldn't have significantly more aeration than you normally do. Perhaps a bit but certainly not enough to lay awake night in a cold sweat.

Well, unless you like that sort of thing...

At the volumes that Homebrewers generally produce you just shouldn't have to worry about hot side aeration. At a commercial level where you're brewing 7 or 10 bbls or more, aeration become a more significant concern that you want to limit as much as possible.

I'm trying to think of a good reason to filter pre-boil. Hmmmm, I'm drawing a blank. You're going to get hot break anyway regardless since it doesn't even form until the wort reaches near-boiling temps.

The way to deal with the kettle gunk (and get more clear beer) is:

1) bag your hops

2) use Whirlfloc at 10 min.

3) chill fast

4) After chilling, cover the kettle and let the gunk settle about 15-20 minutes then be careful to leave it behind when you transfer to the fermenter.

I'm trying to think of a good reason to filter pre-boil. Hmmmm, I'm drawing a blank. You're going to get hot break anyway regardless since it doesn't even form until the wort reaches near-boiling temps.

The way to deal with the kettle gunk (and get more clear beer) is:

1) bag your hops

2) use Whirlfloc at 10 min.

3) chill fast

4) After chilling, cover the kettle and let the gunk settle about 15-20 minutes then be careful to leave it behind when you transfer to the fermenter.

Well in addition to the coagulated proteins formed during the hot and cold break, there is a significant amount of particulate matter left over from the mashing phase. I guess if I was using a mashtun this would naturally get filtered out during sparging but as it's BIAB it's all in the same vessel.

I've considered recirculating by pouring jug-fulls of wort back on top of the bag, but wasn't sure if it was going to end up being more of a faff than just draining the preboil wort into the FV through a muslin and then putting the strained wort back into the boiler. I realise this wont have any effect on the hot and cold break, but I think these are made worse by particles left over from the mash.

James

How do you transfer from your Mash Tun to the Brew Kettle? If you simply drain from the Mash Tun spigot, you could simply put your muslin over the drain valve and shift it as it clogged up. Then you wouldn't have significantly more aeration than you normally do. Perhaps a bit but certainly not enough to lay awake night in a cold sweat.

Well, unless you like that sort of thing...

At the volumes that Homebrewers generally produce you just shouldn't have to worry about hot side aeration. At a commercial level where you're brewing 7 or 10 bbls or more, aeration become a more significant concern that you want to limit as much as possible.

It's BIAB, so it's all the same vessel. I'll see how bad it is after the mash tomorrow and if it looks worth it I'll try doing it like that. I figured hot side aeration would be difficult to do anyway, but as this beer is going to need to condition for a while, I didn't want to introduce anything that was going to cause it to go stale.

Cheers!

James

Well in addition to the coagulated proteins formed during the hot and cold break, there is a significant amount of particulate matter left over from the mashing phase. I guess if I was using a mashtun this would naturally get filtered out during sparging but as it's BIAB it's all in the same vessel.

I've considered recirculating by pouring jug-fulls of wort back on top of the bag, but wasn't sure if it was going to end up being more of a faff than just draining the preboil wort into the FV through a muslin and then putting the strained wort back into the boiler. I realise this wont have any effect on the hot and cold break, but I think these are made worse by particles left over from the mash.

James

I do electric BIAB, so I can appreciate what you're describing. The first batch I did on my rig after I built it, the wort (a Vienna/Amarillo SMASH) looked like mud going into the fermenter. That was probably because I wasn't yet used to the system, didn't give it the 20-minute rest after chilling and ran the pump too wide open when transferring. However, after fermentation and a 5 day cold crash, what went into the bottling bucket was nice and clear. I was both surprised and relieved.

What kind of bag are you using? I bought two of the MoreBeer bags and now double them up (one inside the other) each batch. That seems to help contain some of the goop. Also, if you are milling the grains really fine so that you have lots of flour, your efficiency will be good, but you'll get more goop.

It's BIAB, so it's all the same vessel. I'll see how bad it is after the mash tomorrow and if it looks worth it I'll try doing it like that. I figured hot side aeration would be difficult to do anyway, but as this beer is going to need to condition for a while, I didn't want to introduce anything that was going to cause it to go stale.

Cheers!

James

How long were you planning to condition? I have a stout that has been in bottles for about 2 years without any degradation and I didn't filter out any of the particulates that made it through the bag when I BIAB brewed it.

I do electric BIAB, so I can appreciate what you're describing. The first batch I did on my rig after I built it, the wort (a Vienna/Amarillo SMASH) looked like mud going into the fermenter. That was probably because I wasn't yet used to the system, didn't give it the 20-minute rest after chilling and ran the pump too wide open when transferring. However, after fermentation and a 5 day cold crash, what went into the bottling bucket was nice and clear. I was both surprised and relieved.

What kind of bag are you using? I bought two of the MoreBeer bags and now double them up (one inside the other) each batch. That seems to help contain some of the goop. Also, if you are milling the grains really fine so that you have lots of flour, your efficiency will be good, but you'll get more goop.

There's a pretty limited range of commercially available BIAB bags over here in the UK, so mine has a fine mesh on the sides with a coarser grade on the bottom to aid with drainage. I don't have the facility to mill my own grain so I buy it crushed from the HBS so it's not too fine. The culprit is probably the coarser weave on the bottom, so I'll recirculate a few times with a jug and see what it looks like. If it's still full of particles I'll run it into my fermenting bucket through a muslin and then pour it back in to the boiler if hot side aeration shouldn't be a problem.

James

How long were you planning to condition? I have a stout that has been in bottles for about 2 years without any degradation and I didn't filter out any of the particulates that made it through the bag when I BIAB brewed it.

As long as I can stomach it really. I hope to get around 50 bottles out of this, so I'll probably pop one after it's been carbonating for a few weeks to see how it's coming along and then put it in a quiet corner so I forget about it. I'll probably try it after 3/4 months and but I want to have a decent amount left for xmas.

James

There's a pretty limited range of commercially available BIAB bags over here in the UK, so mine has a fine mesh on the sides with a coarser grade on the bottom to aid with drainage. I don't have the facility to mill my own grain so I buy it crushed from the HBS so it's not too fine. The culprit is probably the coarser weave on the bottom, so I'll recirculate a few times with a jug and see what it looks like. If it's still full of particles I'll run it into my fermenting bucket through a muslin and then pour it back in to the boiler if hot side aeration shouldn't be a problem.

James

You could buy a sheer curtain (Swiss voille) and make your own bag or even just use a small piece cut to fit the bottom of the bag you already have to improve the filtration.

You could buy a sheer curtain (Swiss voille) and make your own bag or even just use a small piece cut to fit the bottom of the bag you already have to improve the filtration.

This ^^^^^ or see if you can find a 5-gallon paint strainer bag at the local paint store.

Back