correct OG for Haus Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I am pretty psyched about my first AG batch, and I was inspired by this great group of brewers.

Used FlyGuy's MLT design (with a 5 gal cooler) and EdWort's famous recipe for Pale Ale.

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale is now in the primary !

I did a gravity reading just before pitching @ 77 degrees and got 1046 ... this adjusts to abt 1044.

Is this an acceptable gravity ?

Also - I missed the boil volume badly - I needed to top off by abt 3/4 gallon . With batch sparging - do I just keep going until I get the 6 gals or so ? I boiled for exactly 1 hour..

Oh well, I am sure the yeast don't mind !

If you followed the recipe, I'd assume you could have continued sparging to hit a larger volume. I'd bet your runnings were still in acceptable range to run another gallon through. Oh well, next time. It's just likely you hadn't accounted for grain absorbtion and MLT dead space properly. Make sure you measure the volume of your first runnings to know how much sparge you need to make your preboil volume.

Yes - there will certainly be a NEXT time ... Thx for advice.. learning all the time !

happy to see activity in the airlock this AM ...

So - is 1044 a good starting gravity for this ?

I just got done bottling my batch of Edworts pale ale. I havent bottled in a while, it was kinda cool. I ended up with an OG of 1054 and finished at 1007. Is that pretty good for this recipe?

Back