My IPA's stuck ferm. and the solution to it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph33

Reaction score
Double IPA. Pretty standard grain and malt bill, nothing out of the ordinary (the hops is where it gets interesting). Started at 1.078. It's been over 10 days now and it's at 1.022, not changing. I didn't use a yeast starter. Used WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast.

Today I swirled the container a bit, and moved it to a slightly warmer room (68 degrees as opposed to 64). Hopefully that will get it going again, but IF NOT....

I have a WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast in my fridge. It's been there for about 1.5 months. Could I make a starter with this and pitch it in? Or would that ruin the profile that I'm trying to get out of the WLP023? Should I pitch more WLP023, or champagne yeast, or none of the above, or what?

That's about 71% attenuation. That yeast attenuates between 69-75%. Chances are your fermentation is complete. Give it a couple weeks minimum in primary and if your gravity is consistent, it's ready. No need to re-pitch.

Ohhhh.... so that's a pretty normal FG for a beer of this style?

Sorry, apparently I'm stupid, and I've just become aware of it. :)

Ohhhh.... so that's a pretty normal FG for a beer of this style?

Yeah, that's normal for that yeast strain. Still, give it at at least a few more days in primary (a week or two preferably) and confirm that your gravity is constant before even thinking about bottling. It could still drop a couple points.

BTW, in the future make a yeast starter, especially for a beer that big. Happy yeasties make good beer.

Sorry, apparently I'm stupid, and I've just become aware of it. :)

THE STUPID ARE BECOMING SELF AWARE!

Just kidding of course- Everyone is "stupid" about things they don't know. Even long time brewers find out new stuff; remember- there is no stupid question, except the one left not asked. Hope you IPA turns out nice!

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Did Abraham Lincoln really say this?

Oh, and I will wait at least a week before bottling, because I was planning on going to SECONDARY and dry-hopping. Would it be okay to do this now, or should I wait to see if it drops a few more FG points?

I'd wait about three more days, or even a little longer if you can because you don't want to rush the process. That's a fairly large beer, and you want to make sure the gravity is stable before racking it.

I'd wait about three more days, or even a little longer if you can because you don't want to rush the process. That's a fairly large beer, and you want to make sure the gravity is stable before racking it.

+1. 2-3 weeks in primary should be sufficient, as long as gravity is consistently stable. Let is sit in secondary for another couple weeks before bottling.

I had the same issue with my IIPA, and my solution to get it further down was to raise the temp up to about 72F. After one hour at this temp I had airlock activity, and after one week my gravity had dropped from 1.021-22 -> 1.018. I also pitched a package of Nottingham dry yeast, which contributed as well.

My IPA ended at 1.020 and it was awesome. I had about the same OG as yours as well.

That said, 008 makes a killer light, drinkable ale. I made a blonde ale with it...it's flocculation sucks, and it takes forever to drop out in the primary or secondary, but after it does, your beer will be as clear as a filtered lager.

Yeah, I've used WLP008 for the same reason and to the same effect before. Made a nice East Coast Honey Ale with it, and it was the clearest beer I've ever made, and the most easy-drinking beer I've brewed. It's a good yeast, and I've found that it produces minimal weird flavors when you brew at higher temps (I use it a lot in summer).

Back