Quick PSA: Free shipping means nothing gets done w/ your order for 4 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
Just have to gripe a sec.

I placed an order with MoreBeer on Friday morning at 9:00 AM CST. I'm brewing for a buddy's wedding and have a schedule I'd like to keep in order to make sure everything is in perfect shape.

Now I know this is on their website, and I just missed it... And I know I'm the idiot here..... But apparently if you take advantage of the "free shipping" option with MoreBeer it means that your order doesn't get touched for 3-4 days. When I placed the order, I figured it'd ship in about the same time that Midwest Supplies and Norther Brewer take to process an order, but that it'd ship through slowest possible shipping. Turns out your order goes on the back burner AND ships through the slowest shipping method. I guess I'll make sure to read the fine print of anything that seems like a "deal with them next time. Their customer service was not rude, by the way... They helpfully offered to ship it today (this is the 3rd day) for 15$.

/endrant.

In any case, the free shipping is a good deal, just plan on waiting about 8 days before your order arrives. Lesson learned.

I'm in Ohio, if I order from more beer on a Monday morning Sunday night I typically get it the next Tuesday or Wednesday. If I need it fast I go with brewmaster's warehouse or rebel brewer.

Every order I have placed with Northern Brewer using the $8 saver shipping has not left the warehouse for at least 3 days, normally 4. When I see free shipping, or even flat rate "discount" shipping I always assume it will take a few extra days to ship. If I want it faster, I pay for it. In the case of NB, standard ground shipping is 2 days to my door, so I normally pay the extra $5-10 to ship my order if I want it within a few days. If I pay more for the shipping it goes out in 1 business day.

I have not ordered with MoreBeer, but I would assume the same sort of time frame.

Yes, just like Amazon Super Saver Shipping. It's free, but costs a little extra time. I placed an order a couple of weeks ago with MoreBeer, but knew it would probably take a little longer. Most other places charged about $20-$25 for shipping my order. For me, since I planned for it, the free shipping was well worth it. Knowing that they cannot charge your card until the order gets shipped, there's always incentive for a company to make this wait as short as possible.

Knowing that they cannot charge your card until the order gets shipped, there's always incentive for a company to make this wait as short as possible.

That has never been my experience. I'm usually charged right away and wait until my order ships. The last time I ordered from Brewmasters Warehouse my card was charged the day I placed the order and my order didn't leave their warehouse until 8 days later.

Like you said, it's right there on the website about the delay. What more do you want?

But Mommy, I want free shipping and I want it now! :p

Every order I have placed with Northern Brewer using the $8 saver shipping has not left the warehouse for at least 3 days, normally 4. When I see free shipping, or even flat rate "discount" shipping I always assume it will take a few extra days to ship. If I want it faster, I pay for it. In the case of NB, standard ground shipping is 2 days to my door, so I normally pay the extra $5-10 to ship my order if I want it within a few days. If I pay more for the shipping it goes out in 1 business day.

I have not ordered with MoreBeer, but I would assume the same sort of time frame.

Really? I'm 20 minutes from you and orders from Northern Brewer typically arrive in 3-4 days with the Super Saver shipping.

I just have to rub it in....
There are 4 LHBS (that I know of) in the ATL area...so shipping is never an issue for me. Need an emergency item?? no problem!
My main LHBS is Brewmasters Wearhouse. I place an order at 10am for instore pickup and I get an email an hour or so later saying my order is ready.
I walk in, pick up my order, and I'm out :mug:

I think most of us have a LHBS that we can go to for an emergency, but it's just cheaper buying online.

I actually get almost all my ingredients local. It might save a buck or two online, but i try to support the LHBS where I can. The only time I don't is if they don't have something specific I need.

Or equipment. Equipment is much cheaper online.

I almost always place my orders with northern brewer on Friday afternoons and always get my order on wed.

I order whenever I feel like it. I have a pretty good inventory that I only order if there is a pretty good deal. I just bought a bunch of crystal malt and hops from Label Peelers since they had the best prices on hops not necessarily shipping.
I did pay 22 dollars shipping on a 90 dollar order, but they shipped me 25 lbs of goods, so thats not so bad. I did get my low stocks filled and bought my hops cheaper than anyone else on the internet that day.

That has never been my experience. I'm usually charged right away and wait until my order ships. The last time I ordered from Brewmasters Warehouse my card was charged the day I placed the order and my order didn't leave their warehouse until 8 days later.

Well.....legally they can charge right away, but it is not good business practice. Many companies will not charge until an item has been shipped.

I actually get almost all my ingredients local. It might save a buck or two online, but i try to support the LHBS where I can. The only time I don't is if they don't have something specific I need.

Or equipment. Equipment is much cheaper online.

Agreed. I try to support my local guys when I can.

I've had this exact same experience with morebeer. I have placed (just a sec while I actually check) 18 orders with them and when using moresaver shipping my items never leave in less than 3 days. The order typically says it's "being picked" for days on end. Now, I have worked in warehouses and distribution centers as an order picker. I've never worked on a 5 item order for 3 days.

I emailed them and straight up asked if they sat on order that used the moresaver shipping option. They said they were just really busy right then so it took a little while. Again, 18 orders through them and nothing I've ordered with moresaver shipping has shipped in less than 3 days. My stuff always ships out of their CA location.

I've done about 5 surveys after ordering from them and always mention the delay in shipping. Other than them sitting on the order I really like morebeer.

I've had this exact same experience with morebeer. I have placed (just a sec while I actually check) 18 orders with them and when using moresaver shipping my items never leave in less than 3 days. The order typically says it's "being picked" for days on end. Now, I have worked in warehouses and distribution centers as an order picker. I've never worked on a 5 item order for 3 days.

I emailed them and straight up asked if they sat on order that used the moresaver shipping option. They said they were just really busy right then so it took a little while. Again, 18 orders through them and nothing I've ordered with moresaver shipping has shipped in less than 3 days. My stuff always ships out of their CA location.

I've done about 5 surveys after ordering from them and always mention the delay in shipping. Other than them sitting on the order I really like morebeer.

Since you've worked in warehouses and distribution centers as an order picker you should know how this all works, but you obviously don't and neither does several other people posting on this thread.

They don't intentionally "sit on orders". Orders that include shipping charges are put in front of orders with free shipping. Is this fair? Of course it is, when someone pays shipping, they are paying a premium so they get their order faster. If you want your order faster, pay for shipping and don't be a cheap ass.

Really? I'm 20 minutes from you and orders from Northern Brewer typically arrive in 3-4 days with the Super Saver shipping.

I guess I have just had some bad luck with the waiting game. On the website it says that they will ship in 1-4 business days, and for some reason I always seem to be closer to the 4 days than the 1. Once it ships, it seems to be 2 days to my door.

I'm not complaining about the delay, I just have to remember to take it into consideration. If for some reason I want to make sure I get it in 3 days, I pay a little extra for shipping to guarantee it goes out the same or next day.

honestly - what could they POSSIBLY benefit from "sitting" on an order?

there is absolutely no benefit from intentionally just straight up not packing your order for a few days while they sit on their thumbs. that is just ridiculous.

I guess I have just had some bad luck with the waiting game. On the website it says that they will ship in 1-4 business days, and for some reason I always seem to be closer to the 4 days than the 1. Once it ships, it seems to be 2 days to my door.

I'm not complaining about the delay, I just have to remember to take it into consideration. If for some reason I want to make sure I get it in 3 days, I pay a little extra for shipping to guarantee it goes out the same or next day.

I'm in the same boat as you, maybe it's just bad luck, but I was having major issues with my NB orders not being shipped for 3-4 days, and I don't plan well enough to remember to order two weeks out from brew day.

That's actually what encouraged me to start looking at new online shops, where I settled on Brewmaster's Warehouse - and I have yet to be disappointed by the price on ingredients, shipping, or shipping times. They usually ship same day (for me so far) and I get everything about two days after that.

It's the same as Amazon's free super saver shipping. It's not that they intentionally sit on the order with the purpose of making you wait, it's that the free shipping orders get flagged lower priority for fulfillment.

If you and I both ordered a whatzit for $20 and you chose free shipping and I chose the paid 2 day shipping option, guess which one gets higher priority for fulfillment? :drunk:

It's not like the warehouse guys have nothing to do and are playing cards while they intentionally let your order wait the described 3-5 days. Free shipping is a loss leading way to attract a certain market segment and inherently comes with drawbacks like longer fulfillment time.

My experience has been that ALL the sites send out my orders in 1-2 days regardless of shipping charges. I never get anything but the flat rate/ground shipping.

I live on the East Coast and most of the bigger online supply stores are a long way from here. I always have to wait a week +.

I would expect any business would ship as soon as they can. Obviously next day shipments etc. would get priority.

I do a lot of online purchasing because my LHBS's are a PITA to get to. I use the local for bulk grains mostly.

I've ordered from all the major beer making supply online sites. I usually try to use free or reduced rate shipping if possible. Orders through morebeer that use moresaver shipping take longer to ship than typical orders from other sites. I have waited 4 days for a free shipping order from Austinhomebrew, but that was not typical. You can blast me for saying they sit on orders. I get that they don't send guys home because orders haven't waited long enough, but they simply do not ship orders until it has been 4 days. 16 of my 18 orders through them have been with moresaver shipping and none of them got to me in less than a week after I placed my order. That is not what I get when I order from anyone else. It is what I don't like about ordering through morebeer. You can tell me how it works and how fair it is and I get it. I just like the way everyone besides morebeer fulfills orders, so to me that says they're doing something wrong in a competitive sense because I don't have to deal with the same thing from midwest, northern brewer or austinhomebrew.

So tell me again that I just don't get it.

P.S. I have ordered more from morebeer than all the other online suppliers combined and I will continue to order from them...when I don't need my stuff for at least 10 days.

I've ordered from all the major beer making supply online sites. I usually try to use free or reduced rate shipping if possible. Orders through morebeer that use moresaver shipping take longer to ship than typical orders from other sites. I have waited 4 days for a free shipping order from Austinhomebrew, but that was not typical. You can blast me for saying they sit on orders. I get that they don't send guys home because orders haven't waited long enough, but they simply do not ship orders until it has been 4 days. 16 of my 18 orders through them have been with moresaver shipping and none of them got to me in less than a week after I placed my order. That is not what I get when I order from anyone else. It is what I don't like about ordering through morebeer. You can tell me how it works and how fair it is and I get it. I just like the way everyone besides morebeer fulfills orders, so to me that says they're doing something wrong in a competitive sense because I don't have to deal with the same thing from midwest, northern brewer or austinhomebrew.

So tell me again that I just don't get it.

P.S. I have ordered more from morebeer than all the other online suppliers combined and I will continue to order from them...when I don't need my stuff for at least 10 days.

Ok, you don't get it (sorry, you asked for it :mug: ). If you know about the delay from our multiple orders, I don't really get the point of this post other than you're coming across as "I don't want to pay for shipping, but I want my stuff as fast as possible".

Ok, you don't get it (sorry, you asked for it :mug: ). If you know about the delay from our multiple orders, I don't really get the point of this post other than you're coming across as "I don't want to pay for shipping, but I want my stuff as fast as possible".

I'm generally very pleased with morebeer. I've pointed out that their reduced rate (free) shipping is slower than all the other online sites I've used. That's it, end of story. Their competitors are providing better customer service as far as getting free or reduced rate shipping out the door. If they are happy providing inferior service in that regard then that's up to them. I will continue to order from them when I'm not in a hurry.

I'm not asking for anything here. I'm pointing out the reality of using moresaver shipping and comparing it to their competitors reduced rate shipping. That's all.

I know people get super defensive any time anyone criticizes any of the online retailers. That's great. I haven't said a single thing that isn't true and everything I'm saying is based on my personal experience over the course of 18 orders (all but 2 qualifying for free shipping, hint, hint, orders usually well over $100). I like morebeer, Their quality is fantastic. Their selection is very good. Their packaging is the best I've seen. Their shipping speed when using moresaver shipping is sub par.

I know I can't win here, but don't act like I'm a whiney little ***** who feels entitled to something for nothing when that's not at all what I've said.

you keep saying "better customer service" when you really mean "the same customer service"

all places are doing the exact same thing - filling free shipping orders after paid shipping orders.

I'm generally very pleased with morebeer. I've pointed out that their reduced rate (free) shipping is slower than all the other online sites I've used. That's it, end of story. Their competitors are providing better customer service as far as getting free or reduced rate shipping out the door. If they are happy providing inferior service in that regard then that's up to them. I will continue to order from them when I'm not in a hurry.

I'm not asking for anything here. I'm pointing out the reality of using moresaver shipping and comparing it to their competitors reduced rate shipping. That's all.

I know people get super defensive any time anyone criticizes any of the online retailers. That's great. I haven't said a single thing that isn't true and everything I'm saying is based on my personal experience over the course of 18 orders (all but 2 qualifying for free shipping, hint, hint, orders usually well over $100). I like morebeer, Their quality is fantastic. Their selection is very good. Their packaging is the best I've seen. Their shipping speed when using moresaver shipping is sub par.

I know I can't win here, but don't act like I'm a whiney little ***** who feels entitled to something for nothing when that's not at all what I've said.

I never said you were a whiney little ***** who feels entitled to something for nothing, but you're not providing an apples to oranges comparison. The three vendors you listed as competitors Midwest, Austinhomebrew and Northern Brewer all list fee based shipping. I couldn't find free shipping listed on any of them (AHB recently changed to eliminate free shipping because the loss leading tactic wasn't sustainable for them).

My point is, I disagree that MB is offering "inferior service" because you don't like the fulfillment delay when ordering via free shipping. They clearly state that there could be up to a X day delay on shipping orders with free shipping, so why do you feel they're providing bad service?

Want your stuff shipped out NBD? Pony up for Fed Ex Ground where they say they ship in 1 business day. There's no legitimate reason that your free shipping order should ship out ahead of "My" Fed Ex order. If you are consistently hitting 4 business days prior to shipping, it sounds like their shipping warehouse is running at or near capacity and you already know that if you need it faster, you should order it elsewhere and pay shipping.

For the record, I've never once ordered for MB so this isn't the case of me 'defending' my favorite online vendor. I just don't understand the purpose of this post, aside from a rant that you aren't getting your order as fast as you'd like when shipped for free. :confused:

I call it sitting on an order when they have a basket of orders they are actively processing and another basket that they don't process until they reach the advertised 4 days. Because you see, they don't just get to them once they process all the paid for shipping orders, at 4 days they process them. That is sitting on orders.

I call it sitting on an order when they have a basket of orders they are actively processing and another basket that they don't process until they reach the advertised 4 days. Because you see, they don't just get to them once they process all the paid for shipping orders, at 4 days they process them. That is sitting on orders.

This is hilarious...

hahahahahahahahhaahhaha!!!!

Gameface said:

Yeah, thanks for proving there really is no point to this thread. Not much left to discuss that I can see.

I agree with the OP. I'm not ordering from Morebeer again if I can help it.

Order Placed: Jun 4
Order Shipped: Jun 8
Order Received: Jun 15

Granted, I'm on the opposite side of the country, but that's crazy. If I order on Tuesday from Northern Brewer, I usually receive it by Friday or Saturday (although it seems like I've been getting them UPS instead of Fedex lately).

I agree with the OP. I'm not ordering from Morebeer again if I can help it.

Order Placed: Jun 4
Order Shipped: Jun 8
Order Received: Jun 15

Granted, I'm on the opposite side of the country, but that's crazy. If I order on Tuesday from Northern Brewer, I usually receive it by Friday or Saturday (although it seems like I've been getting them UPS instead of Fedex lately).

I'm genuinely failing to see the issue here. You paid nothing to have the package shipped to you from a warehouse that's near as makes no difference 1300 miles away. You paid nothing in gas to go pick it up, and you paid no sales tax on the transaction. They advertise that the order will be out the door in 4 days. It was. They advertise the shipment should arrive within 8 days of shipment. It did. If you KNOW you need your order faster than that, you need to pay for upgraded shipping, or get it from a LHBS you can drive to.

Can someone please explain to me why it's somehow now an outrage that people who pay for their shipping get their orders shipped faster than people who don't?

They advertise that the order will be out the door in 4 days. It was. They advertise the shipment should arrive within 8 days of shipment. It did. If you KNOW you need your order faster than that, you need to pay for upgraded shipping, or get it from a LHBS you can drive to.

Can someone please explain to me why it's somehow now an outrage that people who pay for their shipping get their orders shipped faster than people who don't?

there you go.
bringing facts, logic and rational thought into this.

The point of the thread was valid. Let people know that if you use moresaver shipping expect to get your order in about 10 days. I have ordered on a Friday thinking I would be able to brew the following Friday and been disappointed.

It's discouraging for a new brewer when they get excited for a brew day and can't brew that day because their stuff isn't there. Is that anyone's fault? No. Is anyone getting ripped off? No.Is it nice to know before placing the order that there is zero chance they will ship your order sooner than 4 days? Yes.

Thanks OP. I bet you'll save at least a couple people the same frustration you and I have experienced.

Morebeer is a fantastic homebrew store! They have fantastic quality, a few exclusive products that are really awesome, a good selection (when not out of stock), competitive pricing, really fantastic packaging and free shipping if you spend just $60! Just make sure a brew day will not be hinging on the stuff you ordered for at least 10 days.

Back