CO2 leaks are driving me crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I just got all the parts for my keezer together, and started assembling the CO2 today and there are leaks everywhere. All I have done so far is the regulator to the tank which is fine. Then the reg to a hose is good. Then it goes to a 4 way manifold that I bought pre-made, and it leaks everywhere. It is made up of 4 Ts, and 4 shutoff valves, and over half of the connections leak. I have tried tightening them, and they have Teflon tape on them. Anyone have some advice for me, or should I try to return it? I paid decent money for it, and expected it to work right out of the box.

I'll be the first one to try fix something that has been good to me in the past. But if you dropped good cash on something, and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to right out of the box, I would bring it back immediately! And if they gave me any crap about taking it back, I would also be sure to find a different supplier.....

I hope they will take it back. I'll have to call today and see since I can't seem to make all the connections stop leaking. I hate to say it since I like the company, but it's from Austin Homebrew.

I agree with Jamesrm, take it apart and wrap the threads 5-6 times, reassemble, and tighten them down fully. Use soapy water or star san to check for leaks. It sucks to run out of co2 and having to get your tank filled unexpectedly.
-Ben

Teflon tape works great but only if you use it correctly. One or two wraps looks nice but is seldom enough to give a good leak-free joint. Take the suspect joints apart and get the old tape off and wrap with new as already described. Your problems and leaks should disappear.

Flare fittings by chance? Make sure the teflon only covers the threads, not the smooth bulbous tip :) Two to three always works for me- it helps seal, but only because of it's original purpose- cut down friction so you can make it nice and tight! With flare fittings, you don't want gunk or tape on the end, it will degrade the seal.

Back