What to do with these grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boothbrew

Reaction score
One of my friends just started homebrewing. Right now he only does extract. For his birthday, his kids bought him a Kolsch all-grain kit for a 5 gallon batch. Since he only does extract, he had no use for the grains and gave them to me.
:rockin:

That got me thinking: what else could I possibly make with the grains I have (even if it means I need to add other grains to the mix). He got the grains mixed in one bag.

They are as follows:
* 9 lbs. Durst Pilsen
* 1 lbs. Weyermann Pale Wheat

I still might do the Kolsch but wanted to hear some other ideas....????

Thanks in advance

I was thinking about a pilsner, but didn't know about the 1# of pale wheat that is mixed in with the Pilsner (was a Northern Brewer kit).
I'm not quite sure how the # of pale wheat will affect it...

Would that work out well for a lager?

Why not just make the kit? Or help him make it so he can experience all grain.

I already asked him but the lucky guy is on his way to Ireland for a month (without the wife and kids) and I can't wait that long to brew as I am very impatient.
I guess I'll stick with the Kolsch instead of trying something else (I've never had a Kolsch but I guess there is no better time than now).

I have some Sterling and Liberty left over, do you think that will work well with this brew?
If not, I can always use some cascade.

your input is much appreciated.

boothbrew said:
I already asked him but the lucky guy is on his way to Ireland for a month (without the wife and kids) and I can't wait that long to brew as I am very impatient.
I guess I'll stick with the Kolsch instead of trying something else (I've never had a Kolsch but I guess there is no better time than now).

I have some Sterling and Liberty left over, do you think that will work well with this brew?
If not, I can always use some cascade.

your input is much appreciated.
Here's what I'd do for a nice Blonde Ale:

BeersmithSnap.jpg

Nice, thanks biermuncher.

Next one up after this is going to be your NewCastle clone. Looks damn good and I've been eyeing it for a week now but I first want to make use of these grains I was given.

Back