Oatmeal Stout Help !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDzBrewery

Reaction score
Done a half batch of Oatmeal Stout.... 2.5 gallons. It came out to the projected 1.070, but it has a little more coffee flavor than i was expecting.. will it mellow out during ferment ? And If not Can I add some water to it now to calm the flavor down a little, Its going on day 2 of fermenting, I know it'll lower my OG, but at 1.070 i can afford to lose a little ;), btw i was aiming high for this to be my Cold January warm me up type of beer. Below is the recipe and my steps. thanks ahead of time.

5# maris otter
1# flaked oats
7 oz. crystal 60l
6 oz. chocolate malt
4 oz. roasted barley

1 oz East Kent Golding hops ( 60 min )

Mash for 60 min. @ 155* ( 2.5 gal. )
mash out for 10 min. @ 200* ( 1 gal. )
Batch Sparge 20 min. @ 170* (1 gal. )

60 minute boil...
2.5 gallons after boil...

Safale US-05 yeast ( rehydrated )
Fermenting at 65* for 2 weeks then Sec. for 1 week.

Yeah it should mellow out after a month or two. I would just leave it be.

It should mellow by the time you are ready to package. If not give it some time in a secondary with some toasted cocoa nibs and vanilla.....mmmmm...beer

That looks like a really good recipe. Yep, nothing to worry about. Stouts take a long time to develop in the bottle - over that time, all the flavors meld and change. By January you'll have a great stout.

Yeah, give it a while. I would also project a little longer than the three weeks you are giving it. My Left Hand Milk Stout clone took a solid 2 months for the flavors to meld and mellow out.

Thanks guys... I guess i will change the time to 2 weeks in the primary and 4 weeks in the sec. or as long as it takes.. This is my first all grain btw.. Doing a Czech Pils today. man i love this hobby. Oh yeah.. what would yaw say my Effeciency is with me hitting 1.070 og with what i did above ?

If I did the chart right. then i got 81.07%... is that pretty good.. Again this was my first all grain...

Gravity at 100% Efficiency:1.069 - max

Gravity at 75% Efficiency:1.052

Brew House Efficiency:81.07%

Points / Pound / Gallon (ppg):29.3

Thanks guys... I guess i will change the time to 2 weeks in the primary and 4 weeks in the sec. or as long as it takes.. This is my first all grain btw.. Doing a Czech Pils today. man i love this hobby. Oh yeah.. what would yaw say my Effeciency is with me hitting 1.070 og with what i did above ?

Or just do three weeks primary, bottle, and let the bottles sit for two months or so. That's my plan for my 1.070ish milk stout I did last weekend.

I have a question... After 24 hours the oatmeal stout really took off ( ferment ) and for two days hada good 3 inches of krausen. Now day 4 and the krausen has droppen to null. and there is slow airloc activity.... is this normal.. this is my first time watching the fermentation, usually do it in the bucket, but now Both my carboys are open, well now full ( beer ) ;0).. so is this normal for all beers, or is something wrong ?

That's fine, my oatmeal stout with Nottingham lost krausen in about 48 hours after pitching, hungry yeast!

Back