Is there any scenario in which you would add more yeast to the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneaker

Reaction score
Hi folks -

I have an apricot wit that I adapted from a recipe in a book. The book said the fermentation would take 15-20 days. I am on day 13, and thus far, there is some bubbling happening on top of the liquid in the carboy, but the airlock is not bubbling, and it never has, as far as I can tell. Should it be vigorously bubbling, or is it okay? I was just wondering if I should add more yeast to get it going. This is the first fruit beer I've tried. THanks.

Tell us your recipe, and method, with more info we can help troubleshoot your scenario.

Did you rack onto apricots in secondary, or did they go into your primary?

don't equate fermentation with airlock activity. while it can be an indicator of fermentation, the hydrometer will tell the story. if you don't have one, i would definitely recommend getting one. they're cheap and very useful. you might have a little leak in the carboy cap or something resulting in no airlock bubbles. you really need to see what the SG is before you consider adding more yeast. can you see a krausen on top of the beer? extract or all-grain? you can try to swirl it about if you're convinced nothing is happening.

"bubbling" is not a method of determining fermentation. If your fermenter is not sealed 100% - CO2 can escape somewhere besides your "bubbler".

Tell us what the Hydrometer reads - then you can KNOW what your brew is doing.

Well I already had a Wit (extract) kit, so I used it. I followed typical boiling instructions, and then, per the recipe, at the 60-minute mark in the boil, turned off the flame and added the apricots (fresh fruit, cubed). Stirred for 2 minutes, then let set for 20 minutes (again, per the recipe).

I cooled the wort, then transferred everything (fruit included) to the carboy. Aerated for 1 minutes (by shaking the carboy). I then pitched the yeast, aerated some more, then topped off with cool water.

The recipe does not call for secondary fermentation. This recipe, btw, is the "Kiwit" in the book "Extreme Brewing." I just used the kit ingredients and substituted apricots.

can you see a krausen on top of the beer?
There isn't a big frothy lot of krausen, it's more white in color, almost like soap bubbles. But fluffier than that. And there are definitely bubbles on top going blip - blip, albeit slowly.

Probably done, but only successive hydrometer readings will tell you for certain.

As for adding yeast, I doubt it will be necessary. For a really big beer, sometimes I've fermented with a specialized yeast for flavor, then finished it with a high ABV tolerant yeast.

he means done fermenting. do you have a hydrometer to test the SG of the beer?

I am embarrassed to say that I did not use the hydrometer. It was 2 o'clock in the morning and I had apricot gunk everywhere. I was beat. I'll probably put it in a secondary carboy to clear a bit, then start on a different batch that's not as, shall we say, "ambitious."

Thanks for all the replies —*positive experience with my first forum post.:eek:

FWIW, since wits are meant to be somewhat cloudy, you could skip the secondary and go straight to bottle

Latest posts

Back