Carbonation question (not again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallygator

Reaction score
I searched, and couldn't find my answer.

What exactly does leaving a bottle in the fridge for 7 days do? or 48 hrs for that matter. After 3 wks @ 70f.

Is it so that the beer has time to reabsorb all of the carbon dioxide?

thanks,
Wallygator

After 21 days at 70 degrees, your beer is carbonated.

We strongly recommend that after that time is passed, you put your beer into a refrigerator, or other cooling device. This will prove to be critical to the quality of your beer. Leaving the bottles in a cooling chamber will provide a valuable service known as "making your beer cold."

It's quite handy.

I know its carbed up. And I can put it in the fridge for 3 hrs and it will be cold. What advantage does cooling it for 2-7days have besides clarifying it?

It does 2 things; clears the yeast from beer and absorbs the CO2 into the beer. It takes a few days to get both of these things to happen. 24 hours is okay, 48 better, and a week is perfect.

As the wise acre above said, it also chills your beer. :D

Chilling the beer (as stated before) helps it clear a bit more. It helps let the yeasties in suspension drop out a bit more.

I wouldnt suggest chilling them before the 3 week rule (or until they are properly carbed) for the same reason you chill them in the first place. :)
-Me

Latest posts

Back