northern brewers chinook ipa flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
just cracked open one of my chinook ipa's from nb. wow, now that is some hop flavor. almost on the edge of grassy. anybody elses taste like this? i'm not complaning, just wondering if my flavors are coming out like they should.

I've never had that particular kit, but I've made my own in the past using solely Chinook. I didn't like it. Way to grassy.

I've learned that sometimes using more of a lesser AA hop is more palatable for me as opposed to bulking up on high AA hops only, like this kit.

I still like using Chinook, but not at those levels.

Just my two cents.

yeah, i think you are right. i may still use it for bittering, but not the entire recipe. maybe if i wouldn't have dry hopped, that might have helped a little.

bringing this up out of the graves,

I have got to say that this beer really came around for me. I noticed that first month there was somewhat a 'grassy' flavor. After that, the aroma of grapefruit really came through and the harsh grassy/piney flavor died.

Now I have just 2 left (approx 2 months bottled) and the flavor is a little sweeter than the grapefruit. I would say tangerine.

All in all I have to disagree and say that Chinook is a great hop, especially for flavor/aroma.

I just brewed this again, but switched out the flavor/aroma/dry hop w/ CITRA. Hope it turns out good.

I have a pair of 5 gal ferms going with this now and had no experience with grassy or bad smell off the hops.. True, the hops aren't from NB - I just stole the recipe and got the ingredients in bulk from Midwest ;o))

I just finished off a keg of this stuff over the past weekend. I have to agree that, initially, it had some grassy/"green" flavors, but it improved significantly over the two-three weeks and that I had it in the keg. Additionally, I brewed this kit as a full-boil, but followed the same hop/malt schedule that is included.

You may have a different experience with bottles, but I'd let it sit and see what happens after a week or 10 days.

I brewed this recently and got more of a citrusy, piney smell and flavors. I was impressed overall. My only complaint is it tasted kind of thin it had a decent (although light) malt profile it just didnt have alot of mouth feel.

Jlsbrew

I kinda feel the same way regarding the malt profile and mouthfeel. I think the idea with this one is its an easy drinking IPA.

If you brewed again would you add maybe 1/2 # crystal 20 to the steeping grains to get a little more malt flavor and mouth feel?

I am actually going to be doing a version of this beer again this weekend, I am adding 1/2lb of cara-pils and 1/2 lb crystal 20 and using centennial hops intead of Chinook. Depending on how that turns out I am thinkning of doing a series of beers like this each time changing the hops. Kind of a way to learn more about the properties of the different hop varieties.

That's a good idea, and it's actually something that the Victory brewery in PA does as well. They had a whole series of beers with basically the same malt profile, but changed the hops in each one, and only used one variety per batch. It was a way to "educate" customers on the different hops' flavors. Cool idea, Jls.

Back