Wine kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm willing to bet that most of you don't use kits, and I understand that making it without a kit will provide a better wine, however, I've only made one batch of red (RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Merlot or something like that) a couple years ago, and I'm now thinking of trying a white kit out. I liked the way my spagnols kit came out, but I'm wondering if anyone prefers a different brand?
I'm thinking about a chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, or pinot grigio - essentially an easy drinking white for my future mother in law, cause she doesn't drink my beer! =^)

Thanks in advace

My favorite kits overall have been the Celler Craft kits. Great flavor and a good value. Most of the Winexpert kits have been ok to good.

I've done some of the very expensive kits (over $150) and quite a few of the el cheapo kits (under $65) and you truly do get what you pay for with wine kits. The instructions and kits are very good overall. I'm not much of a white wine person, and have done mostly red wine kits. But my experience with all of them has been positive.

It depends on what you're looking for, but a mid-priced kit ($80-$100) might give you the best bang for your buck. The cheaper kits are drinkable early, and fine for non-wine snobs but the mid-priced kits tend to be a little higher quality and have some complexity as well.

Yooper - thanks for the reply; I myself am also a red drinker, the FMIL is by no stretch of the word a wine snob, just someone that enjoys drinking wine; and until recently she enjoyed my red, but has some medical condition containing some big words I don't care to remember (I'm not a medical person); I just understand the important part, she can't drink red anymore.

Glad I have another option now, gotta check the LHBS to see what they carry for whites.

anyone else feel free to chime in with your experiances.

did one vinteners reserve kit. was pretty easy, tasts good(not that im a wine tasting expert). that was one of the $75 kits.

Figured I'd update this thread, I'm going with a Spagnols grand cru pinot gris as it's what my LHBS has for me (Brooklyn Homebrew) this fall however another brew shop in Marlboro Mass will be getting in fresh juice, I think I'm going to try my hand at it this fall thinking Chianti.

Back