WLP001 for a Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
So I'm making my RIS this weekend, and I usually use WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast but I have some CA ale yeast that I rinsed and would like to try.

Has anyone used WLP001 for stouts before? Will it be able to handle the high OG? Should I just buy what I've used in the past?

BTW, here's the recipe:

12 lbs Pale LME
1 lb. Crystal 40L
1/2 lb. Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. Black Patent
1/2 lb. Roasted

1 oz. Cascade hops (60 min boil)
1 oz. Cascade (30 min boil)
1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 Min Boil)
1 oz. Willamette hops (5 min late boil)
1 oz. Willamette hops (end of boil)

White Labs WLP001 (or WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast)

It will be able to handle the high OG no problem. What OG and FG are you shooting for? The only drawback would be if it attenuates too much and drys out the beer too much.

I'll work fine I did a real high gravity RIS and ended up not getting as much attenuation as I wanted due to temp control I do believe. Just wash the yeast make a big starter and pitch it. Depending on how high your IBUs are the 001 might bring out more of the hops flavor so obvious bottle conditioning is in order.

Yes, it'll work fine. As smokinghole wrote, be sure you pitch enough yeast.

Let me add another couple of hints: Aerate the bitter wort well; you'll need that.

Also, it's a good idea to use yeast nutrients in big beers. I use Yeastex, but I don't know if that's available on the homebrew market. An excellent option is to add a packet of dry yeast to the boil (add it when you add your kettle finings). Yeast are cannibalistic little buggers, because they know one of the most useful sources of cell-building materials for new yeasties are the ghosts of dead yeasties. Don't worry about the source of the yeast - brewing or bread, it doesn't matter - and don't buy if you can help it. Ask at your LHBS if they'll give away their out-of-code dry yeast. My LHBS gave me most of a box of out-of-code Muntons dry yeast packets a year ago.

Cheers,

Bob

Well, my LHBS convinced me to go with a different British yeast (WLP005), so I'm going to try that tomorrow. But I'm going to make another batch of this in a couple weeks, and after reading the replies here I think I'm going to try it (the WLP001). It will be a good comparison too.

Thanks for the replies, and I'll post back here my results.

Latest posts

Back