Recipe critique: Belgian rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleindog

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm wanting to do something like Bear Republic Ryevalry, a "double IPA" with 30% rye and fermented with some kind of Belgian yeast that I had a few years ago and loved. I'm also rather new to brewing and especially to formulating my own recipes, so I thought I'd post my idea here for some feedback. Be brutal.

The idea is a fairly dry, spicy, citrus/estery beer which is tempered by a fair amount of booziness. 5.5 gal batch.

5 lb 2-row
5 lb Pilsner
4 lb Rye malt

OG about 1.068
FG with 80% attenuation (WLP550, 1.9L starter) about 1.013

I have 2 oz each of Citra, Cascade, and Centennial (wanted Amarillo but LHBS didn't have any). I was going to use enough of the Citra as first wort or 60min hops to get the desired bitterness (something like 70 IBU), and then hop bomb the rest (at like 15 and 5 minutes, split evenly).

The main question I have is: is this just going to be really weird? How does this hop combination sound if I'm looking for a fairly citrusy flavor/aroma? Is this not enough hops for this OG?

It's going to be either weird or delicious... Or both! I would add a little specialty grain to brighten the malt profile. Maybe like 5 ounces of crystal 60 or some honey malt. It looks like a pretty cool idea though.

I actually have a belgian rye IPA on tap right now. I used the ommegang yeast and I dry hopped with 0.5oz simcoe, 1oz centennial, and 1.5oz northern brewer, and you can't even smell the hops. Belgian yeast will take a prominent role in the nose unless you are really aggressive with the late additions.

Also, if you wanted a little color/crystal in your beer but keep it rye, try crystal rye. It's fun :)

Otherwise I can say that mine turned out really well, so I say go for it!

Thanks for the input guys! I do have some carapils on hand so maybe I'll throw that in. I was gonna brew this today but decided I best decant my 2L starter, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Just in case anyone stumbles on this laster, here's the final recipe I settled on (based on what was available at LHBS): http://hopville.com/recipe/1438268/belgian-specialty-ale-recipes/hubertus-grain-of-my-people

It came out a little more bitter than I had intended and I way undershot my starting gravity, but it's pretty tasty and a hit with everyone I've shared it with. Really nice spicy rye flavor, and the fruity hops come through really nicely (used a lot of late additions and dry hopping). Not a huge amount of Belgian yeast flavor but I'm not gonna sweat it.

Back