Modifying Midwest's Belgian Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camride

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be making this Belgian Trippel Extract kit in the next couple of weeks (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/18/Belgian Tripel instructions.pdf) but I'd like to make it a little hoppier while keeping the Belgian Trippel feel/taste. I'm a fan of really hoppy beers and while I don't want to make this into a total BIPA I would like to give it a little more hp character.

Do you guys have any recommendations on which kind of hops to add and when? What I'd like to see is sort of a mix between a typical Belgian Trippel and a Belgian IPA (I really like Duvel Triple Hop as an example). I tend to prefer citrus and floral hops and not so much piney hops.

I'm still a very new brewer so I don't know all the hops very well. But the Duvel Triple Hop uses Saaz Saaz, Styrian Golding and Amarillo and considering the kit already has Styrian in it I was thinking about adding Saaz Saaz and Amarillo. I just have no idea what kind of schedule to drop them in. I'd like to keep the bitterness low (so it doesn't overpower the Belgian flavor) but get a decent amount of hop aroma and flavor.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I'd suggest just dry hopping for a few days. Not sure what style to use, but hops added during the boil will impart some bitterness and can detract from the style. Dry hopping adds more aroma and a nice flavor.

Ultrazord said:
I'd suggest just dry hopping for a few days. Not sure what style to use, but hops added during the boil will impart some bitterness and can detract from the style. Dry hopping adds more aroma and a nice flavor.

Well I was thinking sub 20 minute additions so that I'm not imparting too much bitterness into the wort. I am thinking about doing a small dry hop as well. I just don't really want to turn it into an IPA.

Some of the best Tripels I've had have been aged a considerable amount of time, way past the point that any noticeable hop aroma will stick around. That said, a restrained amount of Cascade or Amarillo can impart a nice citrus character that is pretty complementary to a few Belgian strains.

Do a search for Houblon Chouffe clone. It uses Amarillo as a dry hop.

I would throw in a bit of Centennial and Cascade at 20min, then some more at flame out, steep a while before cooling, and dry hop with a little more. Not huge amounts, like you said you don't want to turn it into an IPA, but I think that combination of hops on that schedule is perfect for adding some great hop flavor and aroma.

Back