Buying Hops ... How old is to old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy some whole leaf Saaz hops that are about 5 years old. They are going pretty cheap, but I am not sure if they are worth buying. I will only be out a few bucks per pound, but I am more concerned about ruining a batch of beer. How long can hops be stored (properly of coarse) and still be usable?

At 5 years I would certainly question their usefulness. Unless you plan on doing a Lambic I'm not sure that it would be worth even a couple of bucks a pound.

First off, I think that is just too old, except for a lambic or other belgian sour. There is just too much of a chance of poor care in that amount of time. Do they still have a smell of relatively good hops? Tell the seller that you'll do them a favor and dispose of the hops for them.

I wouldnt spend money on 5 year old hops... not when I can buy fresh ones for $1 an ounce.

Not worth buying.

Yeah I wouldn't go there unless you were brewing lambic.

OT, holy crapoly, that sh** is funny..........
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Of course, we should be particularly worried about Islamic fundamentalist yeast cells. They want to kill the brews. They just hate the brews. Once they have destroyed the brewish homeland they will then come after us! Be warned.

Back