Keg pressurizing Question-- Keg #2 "passive" method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Hey folks; since this is my second keg of beer I'm working on now and I THOUGHT I had a leaking relief valve (but a replacement last night had the same result overnight)--I thought of something I should ask about.

The first keg, I did the "hit with high psi and shake it around" and this second keg I figured I'd "set it and forget it"--I've set my psi (in this case, to around 14 based on my temp and hose distance, etc.) and then at the end of the day when home from work / overnight, the pressure is reading down to about 6-7 psi.

I thought I may have a leak BUT (light bulb went on in my head) now I'm thinking: is this just the CO2 going into solution? And, thus, dropping the pressure?

I'm setting the pressure and then turning OFF my CO2 tank and letting the keg sit---should I be leaving the CO2 open and set the pressure at "the psi I need" on the regulator?

:(

Of course, now that makes total sense... total rookie move!

Crappy--now I need a new regulator because something is up when I leave it on, it evacuates from a relief valve on the regulator at a certain point and I come home to empty CO2 tank...

Sigh, could be back to bottling, hahaha. I just want to drink my product!

Sounds like it is creeping if the regulator kicks in. Hook everything up and pressurize it then keep an eye on it over time. See if the pressure is creeping up.

Hey, that's an interesting comment--- I have noticed that as I turn the tank on and then off when I get to my desired psi, that the regulator psi meter does creep up--so I hit the relief valve on the keg to get it back to 'whatever'.

Hmmm... so what's that mean? The creeping?
Interesting...

Nice call.

Back