Burners for my system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your doing smaller 5 gallon batches the large 10" dia. sized banjo burners are hard to regulate at lower settings once your wort boils, and may even blow out. The smaller 4" burner ($8)170,000 BTUs would be better suited. The only advantage of the 10" dia. 100,000 btu burner is that it will deliver the heat more evenly across the bottom of a pot. Is that a big advantage for boiling? Or to justify the extra cost ($30)? I could see that it would be an advantage for even pan frying or deep frying. That could be open to discussion. The more btu's = the faster you will be up to a boil. High pressure burners are for boils. I would stay away from that low pressure 6" 70,000 BTU model which is better suited for cooking and camping. My pick for boiling would be the 170,000 BTUs, 4", High Pressure model. Banjos are all show and no go for boiling. IMO

Back