Third brew. What ya think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirWaddlez

Reaction score
6.2 gallons water

Steep - 152-154 degrees - 20 minutes.
1lb carapils
1/2lb crystal malt 60

Boil - 60 minutes.
6lbs - light Pilsen DME
2oz Magnum hops - 60 minutes
1oz cascade hops - 15minutes
4tsp - fermax yeast nutrient - 10 minutes
1oz Amarillo hops - 5 minutes
1/2oz coriander seed - 5 minues
1oz orange bitter peel - 5 minutes

OG reading post boil was 1.050

Pitched at 78 degrees with white labs Belgian wit ale yeast. Now fermenting at 70 degrees.*
I am pretty excited about this brew. Was trying to replicate the widmer bros blinded by the white. However wanted more hops so I went that way. Beersmith estimated ibus at 129.7. Should be a tastey one.

129IBU, wow, that ones going to bite your tongue and send your nose into a hop tornado.

I have become a bit of a hop head these last few months. Took a SG reading yesterday and had to have a taste. Was pretty hoppy. But all in all good. Reading was 1.020. Will do another reading tomorrow to see if there is a difference.

You'll probably skew more towards straight bittering than hop aroma and flavor with that hop schedule. I looked at a lot of IPA recipes in formulating my house IPA, and most of 'em only have around an ounce (1.5 max) bittering charge, then, three or four ounces in the last 30 minutes, and another one to three dry-hopped after primary fermentation is complete. Which certainly isn't to say you've done anything wrong, just that the beer will probably come out different from most (white) IPA's you may have tried.

Im guessing it will be something more comparable to something from Stone. This was my first experiment recipe so I wanted to play with it a little bit. I did my first two from brewers best but they didnt have enough dme for them to come out good. They were alright. Ill do another batch in a couple weeks of a different recipe.

Gravity reading today was 1.014. Guess its still going. What is everyone recommendation on racking to secondary? It has been in primary for 6 days now.

Gravity reading today was 1.014. Guess its still going. What is everyone recommendation on racking to secondary? It has been in primary for 6 days now.

My recommendation is don't. Your beer can sit in the primary for 60 days if you think it necessary without degrading. Racking it to secondary confers no appreciable advantage and may set the stage for oxidation or infection. Let your beer have at least 14 days in the primary, more if you want to let more yeast settle out, and then do your dry hop right in the primary. Make sure your beer is at final gravity before you dry hop.

Final gravity has been reached. 1.012 this morning when I took a reading. Been in primary for 11 days now. Going to leave in there for another week or two and bottle. Im excited for this one.

I don't see any dry hop additions there....with such heavy bitterness with 2 oz of magnum I'd dry hop that with a 2 or 3 ounces of Citra.

That wouldn't add any more bitterness to it? The bitterness only comes from the boil right? So I presume that would only add aroma? Would that mellow down the ibus for it? I am wanting it to stay at a high bitterness with a nice hoppy taste.

That wouldn't add any more bitterness to it? The bitterness only comes from the boil right? So I presume that would only add aroma? Would that mellow down the ibus for it? I am wanting it to stay at a high bitterness with a nice hoppy taste.

no, it wouldn't really add any more bitterness to it for reasons you mentioned. if a sharp bitterness is what you like you're on track. report back how this turns out as I want to know you're reaction and if the bitterness masked the orange peel and other notes.

Im guessing it will be something more comparable to something from Stone. This was my first experiment recipe so I wanted to play with it a little bit. I did my first two from brewers best but they didnt have enough dme for them to come out good. They were alright. Ill do another batch in a couple weeks of a different recipe.

All of Stones beers have much, much more aroma hops than the recipe. The bitterness may be akin to Ruination, but it wont have any of the aroma and taste

Final gravity has been reached. 1.012 this morning when I took a reading. Been in primary for 11 days now.

What tells you it's at FG? Have you taken consecutive readings at 1.012 for a couple day span?

As others have said, I really think you need some aroma hops to balance out that much bitterness from the boil, but that's me. I don't like those hop-bomb type beers so I was out at 2oz at 60mins though

Gonna do a dry hop of 2oz of citra after talking to my good buddy who got me in to home brew. This was my first non kit recipe after doing a couple kits prior. I wanted a hoppy beer. The guy at my lhbs suggested the magnum hops to me. Ill do another gravity reading in two days to confirm. Beersmith estimated 1.012 to be FG but ill make sure its done before I dry hop it.

Back