Wheat Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Barley wine, barley wine. I do like it. Chicken Killer and Kickin Chicken, specifically. Currently.

Today I was at the 1%er grocery and discovered wheat wine. Boulevard Harvest Dance. Very wheaty and hopped just right.

And to be sure it wasn't a made up thing, I mean, everything is, but not totally made up, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/60

Can't find it in BJCP though.

Anyone else drinking wheat wine? Brewing wheat wine?

Two Brother's Brewing and Smuttynose introduced me to this style. I basically brew an imperial Hefe, ferment with American Hefe yeast, and hop it with high alpha European hops like Pilgrim, Admiral, and Brewer's Gold.

Tasty, tasty stuff!

Wheat wine is totally made up, just like all the other styles. Some are just more recently made up and less strictly defined than others. There is a recipe for Harvest Dance in Wheat.

I have one from a local brewery, but I've been saving it much like I save my barleywines. I've always been a fan of imperial wit beers, so it didn't seem that odd to take wheat the extra mile and make it a wine. I'm interested in the percentages of wheat used in wheat wine.

It doesn't taste totally made up. It doesn't feel totally made up. I got the bottle and everything. It's not like dog hair and cat whisker beer, which is totally made up... of dog hair and cat whiskers.

I just mean I didn't see it in the style guideline. Not even under specialty beer. Barleywine is there.

Wheat wine is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Wheat_Wine#Wheat_Wine so we know who is more up on things, like the Ramones' mom.

Wheat Wine

A relatively recent American development, Wheat Wine is a barley wine made with a high proportion, usually 50% or more, wheat malt. Similar to American barley wine, but with a grainy, bready flavor and a distinctive fluffy mouthfeel.

Back