Yeast or mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haplo53

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here brewing my first batch (NB Caribou Slobber extract kit). Brew day was Saturday afternoon; krausen has risen and fallen already, everything seems to have gone well so far. Today after coming home I noticed some white spots inside the carboy above the surface of the beer, up to the neck and even creeping up the bung a bit. I'm guessing it's probably yeast spots forming in the wake of the receding krausen, but just wanted to make sure it's not mold. Beer looks fine - don't see anything obviously wrong with it (though obviously my eyes are not the most experienced). So... yeast or mold? :)

image-3810207793.jpg

I don't think that mold would grow that quickly. I vote for krausen, possibly with some hop bits for added garnish.

OP here. Thanks for the responses!

A couple weeks ago I racked to a secondary (I know a lot of people don't like secondaries but I want to get familiar with mechanics and process). Have occasionally seen oil-slick characteristics and some white speck floaters since then.

I'm guessing starsan and/or hop oils for the slick and yeast rafts for the floaters, but I wanted to post a pic and see if anybody had any thoughts (i.e., infection?). I've sampled the beer via thief, and can detect no obvious off-flavors or scents (maybe a hint of "medicinal" alcohol taste but not too much).

Thanks guys.

image-352348900.jpg

Looks like yeast rafts to me,dito on the spots. If the oily stuff looks a lot like motor oil on wet pavement,it's hop oils.

Back