Thoughts on my first recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbtstu

Reaction score
So I've been watching videos, listening to podcasts, and reading the HBT forums for about 6 months or so now. I want to start off doing extract batches in the kitchen and move outside and to all grain over the next year. My prefered style is IPAs but I do love a good roasty porter or stout too.

With starting out doing extract brews, it seems like full boils are the way to go. I'm planning on doing 2.5 gallon batches (starting with 3 gallon on the stove), and splitting those into 2 different 1g secondaries for dryhoping experiments. I know that this is a more time intensive way of doing things but that is not an issue for me, and I like to experiment so that's a lot easier to do with smaller batches.

My water profile looks good, but i can taste the chlorine or chloramine or whatever in it (don't have a filter on it yet), so I'm gonna do my first batch with store bought water and my second identical batch with filtered tap water.

I will be doing a 30 min boil instead of 60 min, since there are no specialty grains. So heres the plan....

edit - this is suposed to be an IPA....

Bring 3 gallons of water to a boil, start 30 min timer,

0.25 oz Warrior @ 30 min
1 1/2 lb Light Dry Extract @ 29 min
0.5 oz Simcoe @ 15
2 lb Light Dry Extract @10min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 5
0.5 oz Centenial @ 0

Ferment with swamp cooler and stay in the mid to low 60's for the first week or so, let rise up to the high 60's during the second and third weeks. Rack to secondaries and add 1 oz citra to one, and 1 oz nelson to the other. 7 day dryhop and then bottle.

With this recipe, on BeerSmith I get:
OG - 1.067
FG - 1.015
ABV - 6.8
IBU - 60.7

The only thing I'm worried about is that FG - 1.015. I tend to like drier IPAs and I'm tempted to use some sugar in place of some DME to dry it out a bit.

Since I am not using any steeping grains on this one (want to do a few "no grains" before i get into steeping, BIAB, and all grain), will 100% DME brews dry out nicely? Will using sugar in an otherwise all extract beer make it too thin?

Hope to get some feedback on this before I brew it next week.

Thanks

your recipe looks pretty decent. why are you staggering when you put dme in tho? I would just put it all in pre boil. dme and lme do not get real dry but if it's your first batch i would just brew the recipe without screwing around with sugar. if you sub in sugar for dme it'll just take away a lot of flavor

Late additions on the extracts are better. I have found that they lend a cleaner flavor and lighter color when added in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I typically use 1/3 of the extract for the full boil and add the remainder in the last 10 minutes.

I never heard that but i haven't done an extract batch for quite a while. I always added my dme before the boil so it didn't clump up when i dumped it. I guess it makes sense tho, anytime i add sugar (honey, maple sizzurp, etc..) to my beer i do it at flameout or high krausen to maintain flavor and aroma

Back