Belgian Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrewer

Reaction score
Just brewed my first Belgian Witbier this afternoon using Mid West Belgian Witbier kit. Has anyone brewed this beer? I pretty much followed the directions, although after reading several posts I only used 1/2 the LME at the beginning of the brew and added the second half after 45 min boil. Everything went well from what I can tell. The SG seemed to be a little bit higher than idicated on their forms, but still close to the range. Could the SG difference be from the late extract? I also just purchased a keg conversion kit so this will be my first draught beer. Glad to get back into homebrew after a 5 year layoff. I'll post some pics as we move to secondary ferm. Great site thanks for all the info.

:mug:

The SG difference is most likely just a mis measure on your water.. A little to much or too less when adding the extract can change a point of two

The SG difference is most likely just a mis measure on your water.. A little to much or too less when adding the extract can change a point of two

^True. It happens often that the top-off water isnt thoroughly mixed with the wort. Also make sure that you adjust your hydrometer reading to the wort temperature.

Welcome back to brewing! :mug:

I brewed that kit in April or May. Turned out decent - a bit thin and dark in color. I can't tell you right now off the top of my head if I used the late extract addition method or not. I think I did.

Anyway, I'm now drinking MoreBeer's Belgian Wit partial mash, it's much better in color and body (I added 2lbs of malted wheat to the kit).

The Midwest kit made for a good beer though, could use more citrus but it went down quite well. Wife loved it, so I was happy about that.

Great.. I'm also brewing this batch for the wife so that is good news. I'm hoping the late extract will lighten the color we'll see I haven't peeked during primary yet, this weekend I'll take a look and early next week transfer to 2nd

I have a SNPA extract on that I am about to make for me this weekend.

Back