Too much foam/head in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenabney

Reaction score
I have my first dunkelweizen in a carbon fermenting now. Day 4 now. I plan on leaving it for 3 weeks and then bottling. Usually I filter and transfer to a diff container for secondary, but I've read for this beer it's not necessary.
I see the big foamy head at the top with all sorts of stuff stuck in it and I'm tempted to try to do something to make it go down and sink to the bottom. Any thoughts on whether this matters at all, if anything to just make it easier come time to bottle.

Thanks

absolutley nothing and do nothing! it's just fine let the yeast do its thing.

Its called high krausen. and it is perfectly normal.
Which will all settle out as the yeast clean up the beer.

Some people use blow off tubes so the krausen don't block up the air lock.

It also protects the beer / wort from unwanted organisms during open fermentation.

In England this can also be cropped off the top as fresh yeast during open fermetation

BobC said:
absolutley nothing and do nothing! it's just fine let the yeast do its thing.

Agreed! This "foamy head" as you're calling it is known as a kreusen and is caused by the process of fermentation and the production of carbon dioxide from the yeast. The kreusen will naturally drop out after another week or so. Attempting to "de-foam" the kreusen is just exposing your beer to risk of contamination. This could lead to possible yeast shock which may result in yeast byproduct flavors you do not wish to impart to your beer.

Let that yeast rock and roll.
If the kreusen is approaching your air lock then search on the forum how to set up a blowoff tube. It is super simple and fixes that problem right up :)

Best of luck to ya!

Back