8th Day Fermentation - Bubbles Every 6 Seconds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I have an American Pale (OG 1.062) that's been fermenting for 8 days at roughly 67 degrees (WLP001 California Ale Yeast). I pitched a 2 liter starter and for the first time, aerated the wort with an oxygen tank and an aeration stone.

So here we are 8 days later and I still have bubbles in the airlock every 6 seconds. I had originally had a blowoff tube, which was absolutely necessary as a fair amount krausen made it's way through the tube into my pitcher of star san. I guess what I'm saying is that I had some pretty vigorous (and apparently still do) fermentation.

I took a gravity reading on day 6 and it was 1.018 (FG should be roughly 1.013) and still had a fair amount of krausen present.

I'm posting as I have never had fermentation be this strong at day 8. Could it be from a very good yeast starter and the aeration? I did taste it and did not detect any funky off-flavors, so I don't think there is any wild yeast going on.

Bubbling is not a good indicator of fermentation, it's really just a valve, not a gauge. SO it is off gassing still. Could be temp change, OR that it is still got a ways to go. Nothing to worry about. since you say it should be 1.013, and it's only at 1.018, that means it's still working.

Just leave it alone, and check it in another week.

Bubbling is not a good indicator of fermentation, it's really just a valve, not a gauge. SO it is off gassing still. Could be temp change, OR that it is still got a ways to go. Nothing to worry about. since you say it should be 1.013, and it's only at 1.018, that means it's still working.

Just leave it alone, and check it in another week.

Thanks, Revvy...as always, YOU DA MAN

Latest posts

Back