CO2 Tank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
so i got a free 20lb tank from a guy i work with, he had moved into a house that the guy use to have a bar in the basement and had left the tank. it looked like it was in prety decent shape, went to the welding supply store to get it filled today so i could start force carbing my first keg soon. well, turns out the last time it was inspected was 1973! haha, 9 years before i was even born.

so i got home, and i noticed there felt like liquid in it, so i opened the valve and turned it over and it was just a bunch of rusty water coming out.

think it'd be worth to even get tested? the rusty water pretty much says it all i think, i just need someone else to comfirm what i'm thinking.

sounds like a waste of money to me. If there is rust the integrity of the tank is going to be less and will most likely not hold pressure for testing. also, Would you want rust in your beer?

Don't get in too much of a hurry. Take it to the gas vendor. (Do you think they haven't seen it all?) They can tell you what the future of this tank should be.

If it will hold a hydrotest, it will be safe........the rust is probably something they're equipped to handle.

They may just swap you another one if you pay for the hydrotest.

i do hyrdo testing oc cylinders. it all depends on how long the water was in there, and if it was water of beer. i have had cylinders come in completly full of beer.

you would be surprised how tough these are. i would take it to the welding shop and ask them to pull the valve and look inside. if they wont do that then i wouldnt use them in the future.

well, i took it to the welding supply my office uses and they wouldnt touch it without an updated testing that cost $20 and they send it off. they gave me the number of a place here in town i can take it too and get it tested also for $20. i'm assuming this rusty water has been in there since the mid 70's.

thanks everyone

most places that test(at least i know i would) if you tell them whats up, they would pull the valve and check it out before they charge you for the test

Back