Bacardi Strawberry Daiquiri Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
So I had this strawberry daiquiri mix in my freezer...

th_bacdaq.jpg

and some leftover clover honey from Sam's (can't beat $2/lb)....

0007273601211_L4.jpg

About 2 lbs clover honey, this can of concentrate, a campden tab and some pectic enzyme went in the 1 gallon carboy last night for a 24 hour soak. I'll pitch whatever Lalvin wine yeast I have on hand tonight (1122 or 1118 or 1116, haven't decided).

Thoughts?

These are the ingredients in the syrup kind... I can't imagine the frozen one would be any different; correct me if I am wrong:

Water, Sweeteners (High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar), Less than 2% of: Concentrated Pear, Strawberry and Lime Juices, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Malic Acid, (Provides Tartness), Potassium Citrate (Regulates Tartness), Xantham Gum, Sodium Hexametaphosphate and Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (to Protect Taste), Red 40, Green 3.

I fear that the sorbate will inhibit your yeast growth. You might want to wait on another wine/mead expert, but I think this is correct.

Damn. I checked the can last night, didn't see the K-sorbate. Saw citric acid (didn't know how that would inhibit yeast growth) but thought I'd give it a shot anyhoo.

On second peek at the Bacardi site, it confirms there's no K-sorbate in the strawberry daiquiri mix (frozen concentrate in the can).

Here are the only ingredients I'm still worried about (veterans, your advice is welcome):

Citric Acid (probably OK)
Potassium Citrate (I dunno about this one....)

Whew! You had me worried with that K-sorbate comment....

-jkpq45

Citric acid is fine as far as I know... I would say if there are no sorbates you are good to go.

We'll find out tonight. It's worth throwing an $0.80 packet of yeast in there to see what will happen.

Already starting to clear. Fermentation was strong with this strain of Lalvin.

I racked late last week and it's a beautiful strawberry blonde color. Haven't checked the gravity but I bet it's close to done. Sulfite/sorbate and backsweetening to follow....

Racked onto campden, sorbate and a few ounces of blackberries. It's a gorgeous purple-reddish-pink now. I'll add more honey and bottle soon.

right now, probably like lighter fluid. 12 months from now is the flavor review I want to see :)

Its been a while on this one, how'd it come out? That seems like a pretty cool experiment for using that cheap ingredient list. I'm intrigued and might be in for a gallon.

The lime in the bacardi mix came through too strong. The blackberry flavor is totally washed out and the honey is weak.

If I were to do it over again, I might leave out the bacardi mix and go for some real strawberries.

Latest posts

Back