First Partial Mash with Low Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbc2011

Reaction score
I just brewed my first mini mash from Austin HB. This is 20 something brew. It is the Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout. The target SG is 1.060 and my SG was 1.056. I think my problem was with the size of my colander and the fact that I used a grain bag. The directions said to use 1 qt per two pounds of grain. It had 4 lbs and the 2 quarts did not seem like enough to use.

Questions:
1. Is missing the SG by .004 a big deal? (I did adjust for the temp.)
2. Should I open the grain bag and pour the water directly over the grain.
3. Is 2 and 1/4 quarts enough to sparge with?

On the positive side: I brewed a Dead Guy Clone with Pacman a month ago and I harvested the yeast from the primary and washed it. I made a starter yesterday and pitched it today.

After 2.5 hours I have seen bubbles in the airlock!

I would say keep doing what you are doing. .004 difference is no big deal at all and well within margin of error.

yeah most people will tell you to mash at about 1.3 quarts of water to every pound of grain. but with a gravity that close I wouldnt worry about this batch.

I brewed an Irish Red this morning and used 1.25 quarts of water per pound and my SG was right on target. Thanks again for the info.

Back