Hefe adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willbrew

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a hefeweizen as my next batch and i will use 60% wheat and 40% pilsner but i wanted to add some orange flavor. What should i use for this addition? Is there a hops that has this characteristic? Whats the best way

Not sure you're going to get orange from hops, I would add fresh orange zest if that's the flavor you're going for. Maybe an ounce in the last 10 minutes.

mate....I know it's nor the answer you are waiting for but. I just open a bottle of my weizenbier (pint) add a tea spoon on honey and 4 saffron treads. it tastes unbelievable amazing. Everything marry. In such a harmony which Im speechless describing. please!!! I beg u to try it... it was a experiment that will turn in basic brew now on. god save saffron.

I use cascade hops and both bitter and sweet orange peel. The cascade gets you a basic citrus flavor. Keep it to less than two ounces to keep the grapefruit taste under control.

I've thought about using an orange or two worth of zest in secondary to really kick up the orange flavor but I haven't done it yet.

lleandrodiaz said:
mate....I know it's nor the answer you are waiting for but. I just open a bottle of my weizenbier (pint) add a tea spoon on honey and 4 saffron treads. it tastes unbelievable amazing. Everything marry. In such a harmony which Im speechless describing. please!!! I beg u to try it... it was a experiment that will turn in basic brew now on. god save saffron.

Hey i am open to anything outside the normal realm of normal. I will keep your suggestion and round up some saffron and give it a try when its done. Thanks for the input

Back