Lager fermentation problem??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Hungus

Reaction score
Hey there, this is my first post, so take it easy on me... I'll take any advice...

I've been brewing beer for 5 or 6 years and recently (12/30/06) made just my second Lager, using white labs octoberfest (WLP820). I got a thingamajig for christmas to control the temperature in my beer fridge so I figured I might as well start with a lager. Anyway,

I should have made a starter (just read that White Labs recommends it with this yeast). I usually do, but I was pressed for time with the holidays. I pitched the yeast when the wort had cooled to around 75 degrees, then put it immediately into my fridge set at 55.

It has been 5 days now and the fermentation looks really weak. After 24 hours it looked like it had a little white foamy layer, nothing like what I am used to with an ale yeast, now the surface looks pretty much clear. Without experience in Lagers, I can't really tell what is going on.

Should I

a) bring the beer back up to room temperature, make a starter, re-pitch at 70-75, wait for fermentation, bring it down to the fridge after the initial activity subsides or

b) make a starter and pitch at the current 55 degree temperature

c) something else?

Be assured that I am relaxed and will be drinking a homebrew as I consider the options ...

I am not experienced enough to answer your questions with much confidence, but it is evident from your post that you are no nihilist about beer. And that must be exhausting. I'm afraid that if I answer your questions wrong you might come back and cut off my johnson, in the parlance of our times. :D

After all, sometimes you drink the lager, and sometimes the lager drinks you.

(Next time make a Big Starterowski.)

Is your gravity dropping?

I wouldn't warm it up, in any case. I always pitch at fermentation temps to avoid esters and fusel alcohols though many people seem to have success pitching ~70 and then chilling.

I'll check the gravity, I should have thought of that, but this was actually my first time using a hydrometer.

I used WLP820 too and it has only hit about 65% attenuation after being in the primary for 2 weeks and secondary for about 3 weeks now...grated, I never actually lagered it, I just fermented at ~70*F, just moved it down to my basement a week ago (~60*F)

edit: Ya, are you here to fix dein caaable?

I'd check the gravity and if has dropped, just wait. Lagers are much slower unless you pitch a large starter. I haven't done many lagers, but I always pitch at 70F & wait for fermentation to start before cooling it. Timing can be tricky, because you don't want too much high temperature fermentation. Since I only lager in the winter & the house is at 65F, no problem.

If it hasn't started, I'd make a starter at 70F, cool it & pitch.

In either case, leave it in the primary until you get close to the target gravity. This may be 6 weeks.

I'll take David 42's advice to check and wait. Thanks all.

OK, I need to take my marmot for a walk...

Pitching at 75 and letting it cool shocks the yeast and forces it to climatize to existing temps. When you drop the temps further, you are extending the time it takes to get good activity. Add to that a less than optiminal pitching amount, and you get a longer lag time as well as the prospect of not getting the attenuation from the yeast that you should.
Lagers also require ample o2 and are not as forgiving as more hopped ales are.

Good news. I had given it a good shaky-shake this morning before work and it must have helped kick-start the fermentation. I was all set to draw a sample just now and check the gravity, opened up the fridge and found it had a nice looking head of foam going. Nice.

Live and learn.

Back