Should I re pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will b

Reaction score
I have a Belgian dubbel in secondary now. I racked after a week in primary. The OG was 1.07 and I racked at 1.02. There is no activity in secondary for a week and the gravity is right under 1.02. I know your not supposed to see much,if any, activity in secondary but I feel I should be able to get it a little lower. I have more yeast (wlp500 trappist) for bottling and was considering pitching a little more too see if it will drop.

Well I know they are all going to ask for recipe, the estimated final gravity, and starting gravity.... What yeast you used before (gonna guess the same as the one you have extra of).

--Your yeast attenuation is 75%, you hit around 72% which is probably fine (depending on your recipe and if/how you mashed).
--If the reading hasn't moved in several days I'd say it's done--no need to repitch.
--You generally should wait to rack to secondary after your ferment has finished--There really shouldn't be any fermenting taking place outside of primary.

Some higher OG beers finish higher. How far below 1.02 are you?

There are several brewers on here that brew Belgians so they may have ideas like champaign yeast, repitching your current yeast, etc...

Yeah, I pitched with the same yeast. The final is, I think ,1.018. It's kind of hard to get an exact reading. I guess thats pretty good. the recipe said target gravity was 1.014.

Without knowing the recipe, I would feel good about 1.018 with that yeast at OG.

It's a 3 gallon batch with
4 lbs dry malt light extract
1/2 lb candy sugar
1 oz malto dextrini
specialty grains of caramuncih, chocalate & biscuit malt
Fuggles hops (.75 oz bit, .5 taste & .5 aroma)
white labs trappist yeast

I guess I should be happy with the gravity but I just feel like it should go a little lower:)

Back