Help! Everytime i brew an IPA it has a belgian-esque finish and it grosses me out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elvirus

Reaction score
Hey fellow homebrewers,

I am a hop-head. I dig hoppy beers. I have had luck with hoppy pale ales but my latest IPA finishes like a Belgian...which, sorry I dispise :-/
Now, when I say "Belgian" I mean it has a distinctively different finish. I don't wanna say plastic, but similar.
I'm an intermediate homebrewer, and have had lots of successful brews....
I'm using extracts (cuz I'm lazy hahah).
I sanitize everything and use a safale dry ale yeast.
Anyone have any advice?

-Elvirus

If you're using extract and dry yeast, my first thought would be fermentation temperature. The temperature that many people keep their houses at is a little warm for many strains of yeast. Do you know the ambient temperature of the area that you ferment in, or do you have a stick-on thermometer on your fermentation vessel?

Add more hops. Hops fix everything :)

Actually a recipe, fermentation temp, OG, and FG would be great. It would help us to pinpoint it for you.

That being said, if I'm taking a stab in the dark I would guess it is fermentation temps.

Hey thanks for the quick responses!! :)

I put my primary behind my recliner in my living room with stick-on thermometer. I keep the house about 62-72 for the most part. Figured it'd be safe for an ale yeast...

I didn't take my O.G. Reading because I'm a dip **** and broke my hydrometer.

Here's my recipe at a glance:
6.6 lbs hopped amber
1lbs amber DME
2oz Northern Brewers (bittering)
1oz Pilgrim
1oz Cascade (finish)
1lbs crystal malt
1/2lbs weyermans roasted barley
1 pkg safale us05

So the consensus seems to think its a fermentation temp issue. Maybe I should relocate my Carboy to a warmer spot??

No!...colder!

optimal fermentation temp for a yeast like that is about 67-68 Deg and if your ambient temp is up to 72 deg that means the temp inside the primary is around 78 ish being that fermentation is an exothermic process (generates its own heat)

general rule is ambient temp should be about 5 deg colder than target internal temp.

control the ferm temps so the internal temp of the primary is 65-69 deg and go from there, fermentation temp control made the biggest difference in my beer quality when I learned of its importance.

brew on!

Plastic flavor? Do you know if your city uses Chloramines to disinfect the water (assuming you're on municipal)? Chloramine levels can fluctuate, and if there's a high enough concentrations they can form chlorophenols, which reportedly taste like band-aids. Try finding a water report for your city, or just start using a 1/4 of a Campden tablet with each batch.

You need more hops for an IPA. Especially if your a "hop head". Add more late hops-15 minute, 10 minute and 5 minute additions. And your ferm temps are too high. Low 60's.

+1 to the temp. I had similar flavors with every batch I made (cream ale, ipa, anything) until I lowered my fermentation temps. I haven't tested it yet, but now I have a fermentation chamber specifically because of those Belgian flavors...

Roasted barley? In an IPA? I've never seen roasted barley used in anything but a stout...

Back