Dogfish Dead Fort Clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paininmyale

Reaction score
Trying to make a clone for Dogfish head Fort, which uses warrior hops, 91% pils malt, 9% malted wheat, and looking to reach an abv at around 16-20%. Unsure of how much malt, hops, sugar, and strain of yeast to use for a 5gal batch, any suggestions?.... By the way, they use 1.55 lbs of raspberry's per gallon for the batch.

Sure sounds like you have the whole recipe there....You're going to have to find some high gravity strain of yeast to get that far though. I'd imagine they do a staged fermentation starting with some regular strain, and finish with a champagne yeast or something similar.

For a 5 gallon batch you would need to start with:
25 lbs Pilsner Malt
2 lbs, 8 oz Wheat Malt (Preferably Belgian, Sam Calgione says that this recipe starts as a "Belgian")
This will give you a ratio of 91% Pils Malt and 9% Wheat Malt

OG = 1.157

The recipe calls for Warrior Hops clocking in at 49 IBUs
Sam Calgione of DFH has a style of whole leaf hopping in gradual timed increments.
To achieve this "style" add:
60 min 0.5 oz Warrior (whole leaf)
45 min 0.6 oz Warrior (whole leaf)
15 min 0.8 oz Warrior (whole leaf)

This will result in 48.9~49 IBUs (same as Dogfish Head Fort)

Now for the raspberries!
Sam says that he uses 20 lbs of fresh raspberry puree per barrel.
There are 31 gallons in a barrel.
This is going to roughly equate to 3.23 lbs of raspberry puree for your 5 gallon batch.
That is a hell of a lot of raspberries!
The raspberry puree should be added to the primary.

You could try extracting and cloning the exact yeast strain from a bottle of Fort or you could do the following.

Being that this is a High Gravity beer (18% ABV) you should use a high gravity yeast strain.

If you pitch with WhiteLabs Super High Gravity Ale (WLP099) you will finish with:
FG: 1.027
ABV: 17.3%
However this calculation is theoretical and not taking into account the sugars from the raspberry puree, leaving you with a higher ABV that will be closer to your target 18%.

This is an ale that is best carbonated by bottle conditioning.

Overall this is an expensive beer to make, which may require multiple trials to tweak to get it just right. This is as best as I can calculate myself. Please let me know if you can improve this recipe or do better.

I would use some sugar in place of some pilsner to help with attenuation. They may use a similar process that they use for the 120 minute, I don't know though.

If you plan to harvest yeast you better go find some Fort now. I was at the Brewery last week and the tour guide said it has been discontinued. They didn't have any bottles for sale their. I did have some '08 Fort at the brewpub, and it was great.

I ended up brewing this and it came out pretty well. It was similar to the DFH fort, but not exactly. It ended up a little more then 17%, but after talking to my LHBS, the bottle conditioning didnt go as planned. I ended up not having enough priming sugar to carb it, so im going to have to transfer it to a keg (once i can get my hands on one) and force carb it. All in all it is good, and as far as getting a bottle of Fort..... that was pretty hard to do a couple months ago. I have yet to find any down in South Florida but while i was at the brewery i had some and loved it.

Back