georgia cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid mode

Reaction score
Well, I went to the apple festival in Ellijay, GA and was disappointed to find that nobody could sell unpasteurized cider. So, I went ahead and bought 5 gallons from various orchards. I planned on doing different recipes of spices in each. I got to two gallons the night I got home and left the other 3 for the next day. I figured if they were pasteurized it wasn't any problem. I was pleased to find that when got up the next morning, the jugs were swollen and hissing. The flash pasterization wasn't complete. The yeasts had already multiplied all over the bottom of the jug.
So, now I have 3 gallons of naturally fermented cider and I saved the yeast to use in store-bought cider. They taste good so far and I'm really looking forward to them in a few months.
Sidenote about reusing yeast:
After my first batch of beer, I saved the trub and pitched some cider on it. It worked really well.

Back