AHS Devil's Brew Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMckeever

Reaction score
has anyone ever brewed this? I was looking to do it this weekend, but won't have time to order it from AHS. I want to go to my lhb and get the ingrediants.

This Belgian ale is deceptively light in color, yet high in alcohol. It has a dry honey flavor and substantial hop flavor and aroma. It features Styrian Golding and Saaz hops, and 8 lb Liquid malt extract and 2 lb honey. O.G. = 1.075. Approximately 8% ABV

Whats your best guess as to hop schedule?

edit:

they have wyeast 1388, whitelabs belgian golden, and safbrew t58.

would all these yeasts produce a similar brew? I am going to try to make a bigger starter than usual and save some yeast for at least a 2nd brew

I was thinking of adding .5 oz of styrian and saaz at the beginning of the boil, then .5 oz styrian and saaz with 10 min to go... how does that sound?

Probably pretty good for the hops. The yeast though is going to make a huge impact or at least should as most of these styles are simple and the yeast choice and fermentation are key to producing the esters. Either the 1388 or 570, they are the same I believe. The T-58 is a good yeast, don't get me wrong but I'd stick with one of those. Either way pitch lots and lots of yeast and keep it cool, let the yeast bring the temps up. If they don't start bringing it up by day 2 or 3 and you are actively fermenting you may want to move it slightly warmer but be careful.

I don't think I'd bittering hop with Saaz... Keep that for flavor/aroma (last 1-10 minutes somewhere). I'd bittering hop with the Goldings for the full boil...

would .75 oz goldings .25 saaz at the beginning, .25 goldings and .5 saaz at 10 min left be a better route to go then?

zoebisch01 said:
Either way pitch lots and lots of yeast and keep it cool, let the yeast bring the temps up. If they don't start bringing it up by day 2 or 3 and you are actively fermenting you may want to move it slightly warmer but be careful.

Keep it cool? I usually ferment the Belgian strains at 70 or higher.

They are allegedly pretty temperature-sensitive and tend to get stuck at below 65.

JayMckeever said:
has anyone ever brewed this? I was looking to do it this weekend, but won't have time to order it from AHS. I want to go to my lhb and get the ingrediants.

This Belgian ale is deceptively light in color, yet high in alcohol. It has a dry honey flavor and substantial hop flavor and aroma. It features Styrian Golding and Saaz hops, and 8 lb Liquid malt extract and 2 lb honey. O.G. = 1.075. Approximately 8% ABV

Whats your best guess as to hop schedule?

edit:

they have wyeast 1388, whitelabs belgian golden, and safbrew t58.

would all these yeasts produce a similar brew? I am going to try to make a bigger starter than usual and save some yeast for at least a 2nd brew

This is what I have in my primary right now...I'll let you know how it turns out.

This looked rather tempting, so I pulled the trigger. Any updates? Did it turn out well for everyone who tried it? How long was your conditioning? I'm hoping to brew this early next week and to have it ready for my birthday/school year end.

Back