Already thinking of my spring brewing what do you think of this Kölsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This last summer I had one of Alaskan Brewing Companies Summer beers which is a Kölsch and it was darn good.

Anyways, I want to try and style mine after that.

Here is a response I got back from the brewery about it:

I’m happy you found a new style of beer, and Alaskan Summer ale to your liking. Unfortunately, our recipes are proprietary so I am not allowed to furnish you great detail like ratios and such, but I can point you in the right direction. You are correct in assuming we use a noble hop variety, Hallertauer, as in traditional kolsch style, but with a bit of American (high alpha) hops for bittering. For malts, we use Pale, Munich, Vienna and plus about 15% wheat, also staying true to style. I’m sorry I can’t be more specific, but I hope this info leads you in the right direction.

Good Luck Brewing!

I am torn whether to use Pale or Pilsner but here is what I have so far. What hop do you think they are refering to as a Northwest high alpha bittering hop, Magnum is my guess.

Also, specs from the site: Original Gravity: 1.048, ABV 5.3%, Bitterness: 18, Color: 8 SRM

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.67 %
1.35 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 15.70 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.81 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.81 %
0.50 oz Magnum [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [StYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.60 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 10.75 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

I would stick with the German Pilsner malt just to stay within the style. Also you said their web site shows 8 SRM but you are at 4.5. you may want to bump up the Munich malt a bit. Other than that it looks like a really nice Kolsch.

I would stick with the German Pilsner malt just to stay within the style. Also you said their web site shows 8 SRM but you are at 4.5. you may want to bump up the Munich malt a bit. Other than that it looks like a really nice Kolsch.

Yeah, I noticed that too but I would have to add quite a bit of Munich 20L to get up there, so I am not sure how accurate that number is.

I'd be keeping it as pale as possible.

I'd also be upping the IBU's just a little to maybe more like 22-25, and i'd cut the wheat back to more like 5%.

Also, i've experimented around with adding Hallertau as a late addition, and although it makes a nice beer, it's not really a Kolsch. Stick with 60 minute additions only for a true Kolsch.

I'd be keeping it as pale as possible.

I'd also be upping the IBU's just a little to maybe more like 22-25, and i'd cut the wheat back to more like 5%.

Also, i've experimented around with adding Hallertau as a late addition, and although it makes a nice beer, it's not really a Kolsch. Stick with 60 minute additions only for a true Kolsch.

I am trying to replicate what Alaskan Brewing has done with theirs and they have a lower IBU rating than is typical for the style.

Latest posts

Back