Does This Look Infected? (Pics Included - Beer related...or IS IT??)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
So here are my pictures. You'll notice the green speckles...those are hops that are on the inside of the bottle that stuck there when the krausen subsided. There's also what looks like a weird streak on the left side, that's on the bottle too. I'm happy to give any information that might help the diagnosis!

Basic: Brown Ale, Smells sour, tastes sour with a bit of "tingling" in it when I drank the hydro sample. OG 1.057, last reading 1.008, in the bottle since Sunday 10/19.

Thank you in advance!!

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q354/edgeofrandom/1.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q354/edgeofrandom/2.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q354/edgeofrandom/3.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q354/edgeofrandom/4.jpg
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q354/edgeofrandom/5.jpg

No...Sure Doesn't!

When you say sour...you mean like...warheads sour? Like Vinegar Sour?

You're beer looks great to me (assuming that those white spots dont' have tenticles on them)

Take LOTS of notes when you taste those samples. Write down EVERYTHING that comes to mind. They will be usefull in 6 weeks or so when you're bragging to all of your friends that YOU made that stuff!

THIS is what an infection looks like:

infected1.jpg

When I say sour I mean maybe green apple sour...I don't know about vinegar, but it's not a warhead sour. It smells sour too...the smell is more vinegar-ish.

Being only my second batch, and a style different from my last batch, and with all the problems I had with the brew day I guess I'm paranoid.

I guess I'm just like every other noob on here wanting confirmation that they haven't ruined their "child".

I guess every batch is different...

Dammit Evan! That is almost freakish. I'm sure you did that on purpose. I've read enough of your posts to have a good idea that you're more skilled than that...wow.

I'm really starting to feel a little better...I've kindof been freaking out. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff.

Dammit Evan! That is almost freakish. I'm sure you did that on purpose. I've read enough of your posts to have a good idea that you're more skilled than that...wow.

I'm really starting to feel a little better...I've kindof been freaking out. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff.

Yeah, it's a flanders red with roeselare blend on 'er. I've had 2 infected batches (unintentional), and both happened in bottle.

Oooh! I wanna play with you guys too!
pellicle-2.jpg

Raspberry + RIS + Infection = Awesome?

You get around to tasting that sucka' last night, Chris?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the dowel?

It is to provide Oxygen permeability, but in small amounts. Some of the bacteria (acetobacter/lactobacillus) that goes to work in the Flanders is aerobic (needs Oxygen), as opposed to Saccharomyces (brewer's yeast), which is anaerobic.

It is to provide Oxygen permeability, but in small amounts. Some of the bacteria (acetobacter/lactobacillus) that goes to work in the Flanders is aerobic (needs Oxygen), as opposed to Saccharomyces (brewer's yeast), which is anaerobic.
Thanks. I assumed it was to perpetuate the infection somehow.

No taste yet, I'll do that tonight - but I managed to get all 9 months' worth of dried crud out of the spigot! It rinses clean now! StarSan FTW!!!

I'll be tasting it and kegging it in a couple hours here..... :)

Easy: The mice chewed the spigot. They left a pile of turds next to it, too, mixed in with all the red plastic shavings. Hence the heavy-duty cleaning.

Ok, here it is. TASTING NOTES:

Aroma: Three things simultaneously: Roast/coffee/chocolate, Raspberry, and very strong Sour smell. Not like spoiled, but.. hard to describe. Exactly like the pellicle smells. Very ... Perfumey. I don't have the right word for it.

Appearance: Brownish black. That's about all.

Flavor: .... Still motivating myself to take the sip. *hesitant pause* Hm. Actually, not terribly pleasant. Part of it tastes very dry and hot - alcoholic heat-wise - while part of it tastes just like it smells. If you search, you can find roasty bits to it ... but mostly, it just tastes oxidized and boozey and perfumey-sour. Interesting.

Mouthfeel: Dry. Very, very dry. A bit like drinking peroxide. And the alcoholic heat sticks with you like cheap whiskey usually burns.

I don't know, guys. I'm tempted to ditch it. I don't know if I even want to tie up a keg with it -- after all, I'll be kegging my Barleywine any day now.

I'll keep thinking about it. But based on my tasting... um... This isn't terribly pleasant. I don't know if anyone would actually *want* to drink this, myself included.

My first dumper?

It really doesn't sound too terribly pleasant...I prolly wouldn't drink it. BUT, at least you have a colorful series of events to relate to that brew.

Pic 1 Hopscum & fallen krausen remains
pic 2 Hopscum & fallen krausen remains
Pic 3 Hopscum & fallen krausen remains
Pic 4 Hopscum & fallen krausen remains
Pic 5 Hopscum & fizzy yeast colonies on the service

by the looks things you either had an active fermentation and/or had a lot of hops in the carboy, and the fermentation kicked up a lot of hopscum on the glass....

The yeast is normal as well, just carried up by CO2 trapped in the trub....

You are fine....Gee CHriso....sounds like your might be a dumper...unless you want to bottle them and see if age does anything....maybe even just a few 22's amd toss the rest.

and those pellicules rock guys!!!

Thanks Revvy. It must be those fizzy yeast colonies that freaked me out. They just looked so solid and sinister. I will endeavor to be of stouter countenance in the future. =)

Back