Iodophor + Septic system - Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I know it is probably safe bec it is so dilute BUT--

After using Iodophor, should it be disposed outside and not down the drain ? I try to be mindful of our septic system ...

THX

Your septic system is more able to deal with it than your lawn. Figure a gallon in a 500-1000 gallon tank, your sanitizer doesn't stand a chance.

Smart man! taking good care of your septic tank will save you lots of money.

If you are concerned you could leave your sanitizer bucket in the sun for a few days. Or pour the water into the toilet bowl to flush the toilet. That usually works just a well as pulling the handle on the tank if you have several gallons.

I agree with david. I don't think even 5 gal. of sanitizer is going to have much effect on the anaerobic bacterial. But it really depends on the load factor of other such disenfectants you are flushing down the drain, amount of water you are using, the amount of waste you are puttin in and the age of a tank. I would not put it into a brand new tank.

Counting my childhood home I've been on a septic tank for 43 years and neither I nor my folks have ever experience a digestion related problem. And although we take good care of the tank we have flushed lots of chlorine and other disenfectants down the drain. Also neither of us has ever used one of those digestion enzimes such as Rid X a huge waste of money IMHO.

A real killer is DrainO but ever that in small doses won't kill all the bacteria.

If you are worried, switch over to star san, it is actually good for your septic system, it breaks down into nutrients that benefit yeast and bacteria.

OK - Thanks for reminding me I have a firm grip on the obvious !

The tank/field combo is 25 years old, so I worry abt end of life etc ...

I will cast my concerns aside !

Donasay said:
If you are worried, switch over to star san, it is actually good for your septic system, it breaks down into nutrients that benefit yeast and bacteria.
Do I have to rinse the foam from the septic tank? :D

You'd be surprised what can upset the culture in a septic system. A local Wastewater plant had to truck off all of its sewage because a canuck RV with some kind of chemical in the waste tank dumped into a lift station. Killed the whole culture.

Back