DIY Mash tun/hot liquor tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
Bought a couple of 5 gallon water coolers off of Craigslist yesterday with the intention of making a mash tun and hot liquor tank. Is this big enough for 5 gallon batches?

Generally speaking, no. You can either do lower gravity 5 gallon batches or average gravity half batches. Or you can be like me and just partial mash with only 1 lb. of malt extract, which saves me just enough room that I don't need a 10 gallon mash tun.

Generally speaking, no. You can either do lower gravity 5 gallon batches or average gravity half batches. Or you can be like me and just partial mash with only 1 lb. of malt extract, which saves me just enough room that I don't need a 10 gallon mash tun.

I somewhat disagree, I use a 10 gallon cooler mash tun and it is never close to full and I've made a couple of decently big beers. Certainly you can do a lower gravity beer in there without issue but you might be better served to get yourself a 10 gallon cooler. they can be had new for 40 bu cks

Back