High Quality Smaller (5-6G) Brew Kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seander77

Reaction score
I am stovetop, Brew In a Bag home brewer who makes 3 Gallon batches. I am looking for a high quality brew kettle that is smaller than 8 gallons. I really want a tri-clad bottom since I have an electric smooth top stove, and a brew-thermometer. A ball valve is not really necessary, but would we nice. Most of the brew kettle less than 8 gallons are cheap.

Does anyone know places to buy high quality smaller 5-6 gallon brew kettles?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Before you think about that, I'd make sure you can handle it. Unless you have a really powerful electric burner, you might have a hard time getting it to boil. Also, make sure you have enough clearance above the stove for it. Lastly, think about the weight. If you're trying to go to 5 gallon batches, you'll need at least 6.5 gallons of pre-boil liquid (the reason those pots are big). Maybe you're going to do it in two pots or something, don't know. Anyway, water (and wort, for the most part) is 8 pounds per gallon so you're looking at 52 pounds before you add the weight of the pot. Can your glass top handle it?

I'm sure you're aware that you're going to pay top dollar for it. Here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002E0FUJK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
ajwillys,

I am only only brewing 3 Gallons so the weight is not a concern. I can bring ~4 gallons of water to boil in under twenty minutes with my stove. Currently I am using a old 5 gallon aluminum bayou classic pot, but I am trying upgrade to a better, more feature rich brew kettle.

I have an old bayou classic now, but it is not safe to add in a thermometer and ball value to aluminum since it bends to easily.

I don't know why you would think that. It should be fairly easy to install a couple weldless fittings. Easier than SS actually since drilling will be so much easier. I wouldn't worry about bending unless you plan on hitting it with a hammer.

I have an old bayou classic now, but it is not safe to add in a thermometer and ball value to aluminum since it bends to easily.

I have an old cheapie aluminum pot that's had a weldless fitting in it for 4 years. Sure, its gotten a bit bent here and there, but I just straighten out.

usfmikeb thanks for the link. The five gallon one is perfect for what I need. I just just add a weldless thermometer and I will be all set.

Back