is this a stall or am i jumping the gun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yobata

Reaction score
ok so brewed yesterday, gravity reading of 1.035, pitched the dry Danstar Munich yeast at 3:30pm [no started with the dry packets right?].... no action in the airlock last night, however, this morning was going quite rapidly.... Tonight i come home and nothing.... in fact, normally when the yeast finishes fermenting, my airlock stays in the "up" position, meaning no more CO2 is coming for it to bubble, but there is still some holding the plastic piece up... well tonight that plastic piece is back down??? Should i re-pitch? take a gravity reading? or just wait??? normally if it hadn't started yet, i wouldn't worry cause it would be a little over 24 hours, but when it started then stopped i got a little worried.. Thanks for any replies!

Your OG gravity reading was 1.035?

And yes, take a gravity reading now and see what it says.

yes, too low?? the recipe said i should be at 1.040 to start so i thought i wasnt too far off....

If thats what the recipe stated as the OG then im sure it fermented pretty quickly. It probably fermented out. But no air lock activity does not necessarily mean its done. Thus the grav. reading.

If this is kit, do they state what the FG should be around?

A couple of things....

Most likely your Og is fine..... I am guessing that it is and extract kit with a partail boil. If that is the case your OG is fine. It is almost impossible to miss OG with extract unless liquid volumes are waaaaaaaay off..

Second.... it has only been one day. Step away from the fermenter...... Relax and do nothing for next two to three weeks.

Buy some craft brew and enjoy it..Call it research.

Also buy another fermenter and get another batch going. I did .4 brews before I even tasted my first.

no kit, recipe said FG 1.010.

just opened up the bucket, saw a nice layer of klausen so decided no try and take a sample to test gravity... i also noticed that the lid to my bucket has a slight crack... i am thinking that the co2 might be leaking out, but i didnt touch the bucket at all since this morning so not sure why it would be bubbling away then all of a sudden leak all the co2 through the smallest crack in the plastic lid... either way i think i may just let it go for a week then rack to see through plastic carboy.

btw, what is an average OG?

Latest posts

Back