Moving Closer Towards All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoffman565

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I just thought I'd share an experience that I had tonight. To give you some background, I've been brewing for a few years now. I have a number of very tasty partial mash batches under my belt (and some more on the way). I have been using the stovetop partial mash technique (thanks DeathBrewer!) and have gotten some really great results. But just like any of my other hobbies, I wanted MORE. I've really always felt like doing all-grain batch was like the pinnacle of the homebrewing hobby but have been somewhat intimidated by the process.

I recently completed a 5-gallon cooler to MLT conversion and really wanted to give it a workout. It just so happens that SWMBO got me 2 homebrew kits as a gift for last Christmas - one was a partial mash, and the other an all grain. I made the partial mash kit shortly after Christmas and it turned out great! However, she was always asking me when I was going to do the "other" batch. I tried to explain to her the difference between the two techniques, but each time I could see the glazing of the eyes and the nodding of the head as if she was trying to understand. She always felt bad about getting the "wrong" kind, and I tried to assure her that it would pay off some day.

Well, some 10 months later, that time came. SWMBO and daughter went out this evening which left me at home with a newly-completed mash tun and 11 1/2 pounds of grain. What was I to do? Well, unfortunately, I didn't have all the indredients to do a full batch (and I read that improperly stored grain would probably be rancid after all these moths), so I decided to "sacrafice" the grain for science. I made it a point to break in my mash tun by using all 11 1/2 lbs and do a big mash. Up until tonight, my largest mash was about 5 lbs.

All in all, the experience was great! I hit my mash temperature and becuase I had hardly any head space, the MLT lost only a degree or two over the course of an hour. When the mash was complete, I practiced the vorlauf maneuver (which I found could be very messy if you don't shut your valve or keep the siphon tube up high to slow the runoff!). I feel I learned a great deal about the procedures and processes I'll need when I make that leap into all grain. I did kinda get a sick feeling in my stomach when I poured the runnings down the drain, but I kept telling myself it was for science. All the reading and studying in the world just can't prepare you for actually going through the process. So, a big thanks to everyone for all your posts and advice on this board. It is really a great place to learn.

Andrew

I did kinda get a sick feeling in my stomach when I poured the runnings down the drain, but I kept telling myself it was for science.

wait, you mashed 11.5 lbs and dumped the runnings??? OH NOES! what on earth did you do that for?

granted, if they were 10 months old, there might be some concern, but IMO, you should'a made beer with it.

regardless, looks like you're ready for your first real AG batch :mug:

Agreed +1, should hopped it and pitched...oh well...too late now, but how did the grain smell??

Actually, it smelled really good! But I just couldn't take the chance. I'd much rather go through the process and waste the grain then to go all out and have to pitch a bad batch of beer.

Back