UK tax laws allow the sale of hb cider but not beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbrewer

Reaction score
Here in the UK, if I make home brew cider I can make up to 70 hectolitres (1539 imperial gallons or 1846 US gallons) per year, and sell it to whoever I like, without any liability for exise duty whatsoever. I might have to tell them, and pass food hygiene laws, but what the heck......

If I make beer I cannot sell a single drop, or even give it to my mates without breaking the law...I cannot exchange one of my pints with someone elses either, because that counts as bartering.....how STUPID is that.

Even tasting someone's home brew at a show is technically breaking the law.

Why and when did some UK dip **** politition decide to give small cider makers a sensible exemption like that and then leave the home brew beer guys up the creek without a paddle?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came about?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came to exist?

Here in the UK, if I make home brew cider I can make up to 70 hectolitres (1539 imperial gallons or 1846 US gallons) per year, and sell it to whoever I like, without any liability for exise duty whatsoever. I might have to tell them, and pass food hygiene laws, but what the heck......

If I make beer I cannot sell a single drop, or even give it to my mates without breaking the law...I cannot exchange one of my pints with someone elses either, because that counts as bartering.....how STUPID is that.

Even tasting someone's home brew at a show is technically breaking the law.

Why and when did some UK dip **** politition decide to give small cider makers a sensible exemption like that and then leave the home brew beer guys up the creek without a paddle?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came about?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came to exist?

Small batch cider producers probably lobbied for an exception.

If it makes you feel better we're forced to purchase health care. Next we'll be forced to buy one type of car or a specific type of food.

No, forcing people to buy health insurance was shot down. However, paying a tax if you don't was upheld.

Also, it's okay for a state (looking at you Romneycare) to force you to buy health insurance.

No, forcing people to buy health insurance was shot down. However, paying a tax if you don't was upheld.

Also, it's okay for a state (looking at you Romneycare) to force you to buy health insurance.

A rose by any other name...

I'll get off my soapbox as to not derail the thread, but it pisses me off when freedoms are taken.

I'm finished. Sorry, OP.

Latest posts

Back