I was looking at EdWorts Haus Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcarter

Reaction score
The extract version:

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

I simply need clarification on the term "do a full boil..." Does that mean to boil all the extract for 60min in what?, like 3 gallons of water. I am completely new to this so any clarification would be helpful. I'm gonna go search again, initial search did not turn up anything obvious.

put just the munich in for the full 60min boil and add the rest of the extract with @10-15min left. this will help keep the beer lighter and get a better utilization on your hops.

oh yeah steeping is just a less viscous mash than normal(mash conversion can be done in as little as 20min)

Thanks for the help on that first part, but I guess I'm wondering about the volume of water that I put the Munich in first. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 3gal. Then heat that to, say, 170. Have the crystal steep for 30 mins once the water is at 170, Then add the Munich etc... am I on the right track or completely round the bend?

I add about 3.5 gal water to kettle, heat to 155F, then steep the crystal for 30 minutes.

Remove crystal then bring to boil, remove kettle from heat and add the munich and stir to dissolve completely and prevent scorching.

Return kettle to burner and bring to a boil. Add the 1.0 oz Cascade. Continue to boil and follow the hops schedule. Add the remaining extract with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Latest posts

Back